fix broadheads vs expanding - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

fix broadheads vs expanding

this is the first time i have been in the crossbow forum and i apologize if this question has come up, but ive heard that expanding broadheads throw off the accuracy of a crossbow. ive never tested it and only use fixed broad heads and had success with it but just wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows differently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

Re: fix broadheads vs expanding

Spitfires seem to fly fine for me, not much different than the fixed
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Regular Visitor

I've never heard that expandables throw off the accuracy of a crossbow. There haave been issues with some opening in flight, which may cause them to fly erratically. I've used Spitfires and Grim Reapers, both of which gave me excellent flight. I've yet to lose a deer with either broadhead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Some expandables have been known to prematurely open when shot from a crossbow. It has to do with the very abrupt acceleration curve. Not many but some. Spitfires, Grim Reapers, Wasp Jackhammers all have been proven to be absolutely reliable and accurate. There are others and I am sure other members have thier favorites. The important point is to shoot them and see what happens in your bow.

Watch the marketing stuff that is out there. Some manufacturers are labeling stuff "crossbow" but it is the same identical product as the one not labled crossbow.

I am a fixed blade guy. I can get great flight from fixed blades so I don't opt for something mechanical on the front of my arrow.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks for the feed back guys. ill just have to try it out and who knows maybe i will end up sticking with fixed broadheads.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 AM

Been trying my new one out with my thunderheads I had with the compound and I can't seem to get them to group right. Arrowhead said they should work ok but can't quite get them tuned in so I've been hearing good things about spitfires, going to try them see how they do. Field points I have to make sure I don't shoot the same spot twice or they want to robin hood. Just gives me more of an excuse to practice.

Never Argue With An Idiot
They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 AM

Dpms or anybody for that matter what are you guys doing to get your fixed blades to work good. I'm using 100 gr TH out of my invader with the wicked ridge bolts that came with it (easten)????

Never Argue With An Idiot
They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Thunderheads are flying good out of my wife's Vision, they also flew good out of the tornado
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I switched from NAP Spitfires 100gr to Slick Trick 100 Magnums they preformed very well on Tornado.. even through bone contact they are still usable ,very durable I just touch it up with a SharpAll and they are good to go.. I love the NAPS but one draw back the blades bend easy, but they did leave a very good exit wound as do the Slick tricks..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM

If you really want to get the best accuracy possible, contact Arrowhead. He'll help get the best out of your setup. Besides making sure your heads, inserts, and shaft are all straight and aligned, I think the most important thing is your front-of-center. I had 2 bad experiences with Spitfires out of my 160 lb Tenpoint, and I blamed it on lack of penetration. I've switched to fixed blades and have yet to have a problem. Technically it might not make a difference, but I believe that the reduced weight of the bolts along with loss of energy from expandables was my problem. Maybe if I had just increased my overall bolt weight and adjusted my FOC, I might get the same penetration out of the expandables compared to the fixed. So you need to do some try and error, but Arrowhead seems to have done the most testing and can get you headed in the right direction and proably save a lot of time and money.

That which does not kill me, only makes me stronger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page