Crossbow Shopping - Help! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Crossbow Shopping - Help!

I know it's early 2012, but I decided to begin reading/researching with regards to purchasing a crossbow to get into a little Archery this year. It's taken quite a bit for me to even consider getting into crossbow. I have shot compound the majority of my life, but honestly was looking to getting back into some archery, and I don't have the same amount of time to practice properly with a compound and all that. As such, I've found crossbow a little more appealing recently...

I am having a pretty tough time narrowing down the selections. My basic criteria is reliability, accuracy, physical weight, and price.

The Horton Team Realtree Ultra-lite really catches my eye. I find the price tag attractive for something that supposedly is ready to hunt. I like the lighter weight and the overall look as well. I have done some reading, and haven't really came across any "horror stories" either.

In addition to Horton, upon my Dad's (who hunts crossbow with a Parker) recommendation, I looked at some Parkers, some Ten Point, and Excalibur crossbows. I see pro's/con's to a most, like anything.

Parker seems to make a line or rather affordable bows, and I know my Dad's shoots A-OK!

The Ten Point seem really popular, but quite heavy both physically as well as the price tag, and it seems their "big catch" is the cocking device being built on (I'm not concerned with cocking the bow manually).

The Excaliburs are interesting to me, and I must say I'm not really into the recurve design currently, but I was a little interested to see/hear more after hearing some people really RAVE about these bows. I suppose recurve limb design does lend itself to reliability (less to go wrong in my mind), which means a good bit to me.

In general, this is just a cry for opinion of those of you with crossbows out there. Few things:

1. Anyone know of any complaints towards that Horton TRT Ultra-Lite?

2. What is your opinion on what's the best out there right now considering reliability, weight, and price. I'm assuming they're all pretty accurate if you can shoot...

3. Is there anything out there that I haven't looked into per the above that is strongly recommended/popular due to positive consumer review?

As always, thanks in advance for taking your time to read!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:59 AM

Re: Crossbow Shopping - Help!

i use a parker safari outfitter never had a problem, my neighbor just bought a wicked ridge crossbow, light and accurate they are made by ten point and can be bought for less than 500.00

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have had "Barnett" crossbows for 18 years till last year.
BUT...I reconmended them to a friend cause I had nothing but GREAT service with them. Everytime I had a problem they came through. Once had my bow had some issues a couple weeks before the season and they repaired it and got it back within 5 dqays of my hunt. I fired it and as I was cranking to redraw it the rope tore. I calle dthem and they sent me one and it was received the next day with a return label for the broken one to be returned, (it was a barnett crack, which I need ause I am unable to use the rope pull).
This type of service was OUTSTANDING.

BUT....when my friend bought on 1 month before the season, he had issues and sent it back and they gave him such a rough time that (it was returned with parts missing ) he ended up missing the first week. He paid 600 fore this and ended up trading it in on a Hurton Vision ( he lost all but 400 on that deal but he was fed up).

I checked out the vision and I could pull it back with use of the pull rope and didn't need a crank, GREAT!!

Well I sold my barnett and went out and purchased the vision (cause I could no longer trust in Barnett to get the service I had prior, I even wrote the company and never heard from them. I guess the company went through changes and the caring folks disapeared.). I would have, at one time, told you that Barnett was the greatest, cause they were at on time.

You need to check with people who have crossbows an ddo your research, manufactures will tell you anything you need to know about their bows BUT word of mouth is the best. I beleave in costomer servise and that is a GREAT factor in owning a product.

So do your homework and Good luck in finding a crossbow to your liking and need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Regular Visitor

I searched both the Internet as well as bow shops. Had the chance to shoot bows at the shops and was impressed on how quiet the vision 175 was. I settled on a Horton vision love the narrow profile as well as how it shoots right out of the box. Besides it looks cool with the reverse limbs,'even thou that's not a reason to buy. Now is a god time to hit eBay due to the 2012 models coming out so most are selling the vision for a lot less then when I bought.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad814
3. Is there anything out there that I haven't looked into per the above that is strongly recommended/popular due to positive consumer review?
Have you looked at the Wicked Ridge, by Ten Point?
I was/am in the exact position as you, and considered Parker and Excalibur, but think I'm settled on the Wicked Ridge Invader - I just have to shoot it to be sure. The WR Warrior (165#/280fps)can be be had for less than $400, and the Invader (180#/305fps) less than $500. They are apparently underrated by the factory, as I've read several accounts of Warriors shooting over 300 fps.

Mossberg 500
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Browning BLR .308</span> Ruger American .308
Wicked Ridge Invader HP

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM

Check with Arrowhead. Great to deal with - very knowledgable. He'll give you the straight stuff.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Today is arrowhead's birthday!

Quote:
1. Anyone know of any complaints towards that Horton TRT Ultra-Lite?

2. What is your opinion on what's the best out there right now considering reliability, weight, and price. I'm assuming they're all pretty accurate if you can shoot...

As always, thanks in advance for taking your time to read!
You said your basic criteria is reliability, accuracy, physical weight, and price.
I'll address those concerns first.
Reliability- Excalibur and Ten Point. Both of these companies place very high on the scale for reliability.
Accuracy- All of the modern name brand crossbows will be accurate with the right arrow.
Weight- This will limit your choices. Excalibur will likely be the lightest and still be reliable. If you are talking under 8 lbs., then it opens up more choices. Wicked Ridge and Ten Point will be added for consideration.
Price- Buy the second most expensive crossbow you can afford. The most expensive being the one that you buy and discover won't work or fails and then have to trade to get what you really want.

1. It's by far the loudest crossbow I have ever pulled the trigger on. Other than that, it seems like a good bow.
2. Right now, I would give my vote to the Wicked Ridge Raider CLS. If your budget won't go that far the Invader is a nice crossbow too. I also have the Hoton Vision on sale for $579 while they last.
3. Excalibur Axiom or Ibex might be worth a look.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Guys - I REALLY appreciate the help! This is my 2nd thread on these forums, and I really wish I had been discussing things here a long time ago! Great user base here...

It's interesting that more than 1 of you brought up Wicked Ridge. I was talking with some guys at work this morning who don't have Wicked Ridge today, but both were talking about how much they like them and would probably go that route if they were buying a new one today (one uses Excalibur, one uses Horton). Looks like I have ANOTHER site to look at!

Arrowhead - forgive my ignorance, but it sounds like you have a shop? Are you in/around Pittsburgh anywhere? I appreciate your note on the TRT Ultralite noise. This is the ONE crossbow I actually have shot and I did feel it makes a pretty good "whack" when it fires. In hindsight I should have had "noise" listed as another criteria, because it is important to me. I like quiet. Price-wise... I'd like to be "ready to hunt" at/under 650 if that's possible for quality equipment? Sounds like it may be with Wicked Ridge...
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:21 PM

Arrowhead does have his own shop. http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/ I would recommend calling and talking to him. He has a wealth of knowledge and could probably help you close in on what crossbows would best suit your needs. He will treat you right. I have never seen one negative comment on here about him and there are thousands of positive comments. His shop is about 2 hours away from Pittsburgh. I just went there the other day to pick up my new crossbow. He can ship to you also. The nice thing about picking one up from him is he can have it fully assembled and ready to shoot.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitcount
Quote:
Have you looked at the Wicked Ridge, by Ten Point?
I was/am in the exact position as you, and considered Parker and Excalibur, but think I'm settled on the Wicked Ridge Invader - I just have to shoot it to be sure. The WR Warrior (165#/280fps)can be be had for less than $400, and the Invader (180#/305fps) less than $500. They are apparently underrated by the factory, as I've read several accounts of Warriors shooting over 300 fps.
accounts?? any crossbow can shoot 15-20 fps faster by using the improper arrow weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page