The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Turkey Hunting Question

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  acorn1956 
#1 ·
Ok, I bought a new Parker Toranado from Arrowhead Dec of 2010, practiced all summer and was able to harvest a 9 pt buck this October.
I also had a shot on a nice Tom during the Turkey season. I shot for center mass at about 30 yds but the bird took off with the rest of the flock. When I went to the site of the shot I found a lot of feathers but no blood on my arrow or on the ground. I searched in the direction that the flock ran but did not find anything.
Questions; Where exactly do you aim on a turkey?
Should I expect to see blood on my arrow from a turkey?
I believe the shot was good but obviously I'm wrong. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Thanks

#2 ·
I aim anywhere from the wing socket to the base of the neck where the feathers start. You want to hit the spine. Look at a turkey target and see how the spine runs. A turkey is a pretty tough bird, and they don't bleed very much. Unless you see them fall tracking can be a challenge.

#3 ·
Broadside, aim for the wing butt. Front on, aim for the base of the beard. Facing away, middle of the back and center.

I shot two birds this spring. One broadside and one head on. Neither took a step.

#5 ·
Always the wing butt...you want to pin them down so they can't fly...and it's a good shot and they won't go far if you let them alone...just make sure you see the direction they've gone..or the leg joints...that will pen a gobbler down fast,but if you miss could fly away...Head the best shot but most guys won't take that shot..Honkers51

#8 ·
Timely post acorn, least for me...as i took a walk to get a way from the office at lunch today, and the warm temps got me thinking abotu spring, I am not really a die hard turkey hunter but with the chance of a triple trophy this year on my property I am going to give it more attention.

Anyway, I have had so much luck with the crossbow I thought today I would rather carry that then a shotgun in May..and my thought then was, "well where would I shoot?', no kidding I just had these thoughts about 2 hours ago. ;), come into HPA and there are the answers..

Gene, what was the turkey broadhead you used again?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.