Question for crossbow'ers only. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Question for crossbow'ers only.

First off, I have nothing against them.

But my question is to the people that just started archery hunting and decided to pick up a crossbow. So here it is...

Did you ever want to try a longbow? What made you chose? And did you only come into archery becuase of the crossbow?

(this <u>IS NOT</u> a question for someone with shoulder problems or anything of that nature. I understand you can't pull a bow back, like I said earlier, I'm not against crossbows.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 AM

Re: Question for crossbow'ers only.

Maybe they just want to make a clean kill as ethically as they can.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2bears
Maybe they just want to make a clean kill as ethically as they can.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I never hunted with a bow because I couldn't get good enough to be sure I would kill a deer if I shot it. The last thing I want to do is stick an arrow in a deer's guts or other non-lethal part and it die a long miserable death. So, the crossbow gives me the tool to make good clean shots (with some practice). Haven't purchase the bow yet, but I will before spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Regular Visitor

I own a compound bow that has a 40lbs draw weight. I purchased a re-curve crossbow with a 175lbs draw weight for the new Bear Archery Season. I also thought it might be fun for Turkey hunting. The ability to shoot without drawing in the presence of the animal is helpful for a Turkey hunt. The extra power without the heavy draw weight is great for the range and big game hunting. I have a much flatter and more consistent trajectory inside of 40 yards with my crossbow than my compound bow. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with, and I would recommend a crossbow to anyone who wants to go after Turkeys.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

it can be with any weapon that lets a deer die slowly with a bad shot from a bullet, arrow or roundball........bob

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've hunted with a recurve and compound bow for over 50 years and took my share of deer with them,and the crossbow is just a chance to try something different.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Lifter

But my question is to the people that just started archery hunting and decided to pick up a crossbow. So here it is...

Did you ever want to try a longbow? What made you chose? And did you only come into archery becuase of the crossbow?

(this IS NOT a question for someone with shoulder problems or anything of that nature. I understand you can't pull a bow back, like I said earlier, I'm not against crossbows.)
Well I archery hunter before crossbows, but i will add this perspective.

I got gadgeted out of using my Compound, spending $100+ annually to keep my bow current, new rest, carbon arrows....only to develop some target panic From what I believe was all those gadgets, so i went to instinctive recurve for 2 or 3 years before crossbows became legal and had a blast shooting it, and although I loved the lore of carrying a beautiful peice of wood and traditional style turkey feathered arrows around the woods, and was practicing regularly then and hitting a water bottle just tossed around the yard nicely..in the woods I limited my self to 20 and under and even then I would not say I was confident a hit deer would die in the confines of my property that is only 300 yards wide and surrounded by heavily posted land. Truthfully after doing all the homework and prep I had to let some nice deer walk in the 25-30 yard range, it was frustrating to say the least and hard to justify leaving everyone else at home on Saturdays so I could go do that. I never got a shot in my 20 yard cricle in 3 years even at does. I got the first crossbow so my 12 yo could hunt archery with me, but it did not take long for me to realize that these crossbows were the perfect answer for our property so i jumped full in and got another...as seen in my other post here, 7 deer in 3 years, by 3 hunters 8-43yo, including my biggest buck ever, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY all died within 25 yards of impact and well inside our line (in fact in 18 deer kills + 1 bear kill in 5yrs with all weapons we have never left our place to recover one, ever, I am proud of that and my hunters for getting it done that way)....I did not expect them to change the game as much as they did for us, but it has been the best hunting decision I have made as a hunting Dad and small property owner so far, NO DOUBT.

I got 3 new arhery season hunters in my house now, all becasue of the crossbow and all have very varied time to hunt and practice. But all want too... Good problem to have and has taken alot of the pressure of making time for all my willing hunters off of me by adding so many extra days to our collective calendars.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A crossbow just fits my needs the best. I still use a compound when I'm able to, which isn't very often at this stage of my life.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Lifter

(this IS NOT a question for someone with shoulder problems or anything of that nature. I understand you can't pull a bow back, like I said earlier, I'm not against crossbows.)
We just bought a crossbow for my father. It's a switch over from a compound. He is in great shape, and has no problem shooting a compound. I talked him into a crossbow because it's so much easier. It is so well balanced and easy to see through the scope at dusk (when it's impossible to see through a peep) with bright red or green dots that light up at the turn of a dial. He can add additional yards to his effective range.

I still have a compound, but my next purchase will most likely be a crossbow. I am so amazed how easy they are to shoot. My brother's girlfriend never shot any type of bow in her life. Christmas morning when my father got his crossbow, we let her shoot it off hand at 20 yards. She was just an inch or so from the bullseye on her very first shot. Pretty remarkable if you ask me. I would bet the house she wouldn't have even hit the target with a compound, long bow, or recurve.

God Bless the USA.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a fear of heights so I will not climb a tree stand. The crossbow works great for ground shooting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page