Broadheads Fly Low - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Broadheads Fly Low

Was shooting the Muzzy 3 blade broadheads out of our TenPoint Stealth with the aluminum arrows provided in the package. They shoot about 5 inches low compared to the field points. I don't have much experience with crossbows, but with my conpound bow, I would have no problem tuning the broadeads to fly right with my field points. What do I do for the crossbow? I sighted the scope in to shoot the broadheads correctly, but I feel this is the wrong thing to do. I would never used this solution for the same problem with my compound.

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Broadheads Fly Low

With a crossbow you often have to tune the arrow/broadhead rather than the rest or nocking point. One of the reasons I like the G5 Striker so much is that it works well with a wide variety of crossbows and arrow combinations. You should be just fine as long as you are hitting good with the Muzzy heads.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ok sounds good. For now we are just going to dial it in for the broadheads as they do fly consistent out to 50 yards. But we will have to experiment with different broadheads to see if they will fly better. Might try the Slick Tricks and the MX-4's, but the MX-4's were tricky for me to tune out of my compound so I can't imagine the crossbow will like them, but it's worth a shot. The scope on the crossbow is set for 325 fps, so that extra speed might mess with the broadheads more than what I am used to with my compound which shoots about 300 fps. Thanks for the info!

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Lung 20
Was shooting the Muzzy 3 blade broadheads out of our TenPoint Stealth with the aluminum arrows provided in the package. They shoot about 5 inches low compared to the field points.
5 inches low at what range?

Personally, I prefer close to the same point of impact for practice reasons. With crossbows, not much can be done in the way of "tuning" the bow. Sometimes the cams can become out of sync but that is usually a left right issue.

You are left with the arrow/point to play with. I never did use the aluminums that came with my Stealth. Went right to a carbon, brass insert for a high front of center. 18% is about right for crossbows, IMO.

Broadheads that have flown universally well for me with high FOC arrows are G5 Strikers, Slick Tricks, Razor Tricks and Sonics. Arrows that work for me are Gold Tip Laser II, Victory and Easton Full Metal Jackets.

Just some groundwork for you to begin playing to get same point of impact.

The other option is if you are greating great groups out to 40-50 yards with your set-up with broadheads is to sight it in with them and go hunting. Maybe buy some heavier weighted field points to bring the POI of the field points close to that of the broadheads.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think it was 4 or 5 inches at 40 or 50 yards. Only 2 or 3 inches at 20 yards. It's just frustrating because I can tune my compound with the same broadheads to hit with field points at 50 yards really easily. We did buy carbon arrows, but were debating whether or not to take them back. I think we will shoot broadheads with them just to see if there is a smaller difference between field points and broadheads.

God Bless the USA.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM

Shooting the Spitfires out of my Stealth with the arrows that came with the package. Broadheads fly as true as the field points.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Lung 20
It's just frustrating because I can tune my compound with the same broadheads to hit with field points at 50 yards really easily.
It's a different animal. Tuning is accomplished with the arrow/head versus the bow.

If the broadheads are grouping great, try a heavier field point.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Regular Visitor

Took Arrowhead's advice this afternoon and shot the Victory/G5 Stryker combination.... dead center at 20 yards. I have some Muzzy 4-blades leftover from my compound setup, but after seeing what the G5 did I'm not even gonna try them at this point.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:20 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8points
Took Arrowhead's advice this afternoon and shot the Victory/G5 Stryker combination.... dead center at 20 yards. I have some Muzzy 4-blades leftover from my compound setup, but after seeing what the G5 did I'm not even gonna try them at this point.
I also use victory x bolts, 2.1 fusion vanes and striker g5 broadheads. They are consistent but don't have the same POI as my field tips or even each other. I marked my arrows so I know which one my scope is sighted in for and how many "yards low" the other broadheads will hit on my multi reticle scope. I have a parker buckbuster 175 btw. Anyone have any ideas why this is the case? I've tuned the broadheads to line up with the fletching but I'm not sure what else I can tune.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i built my XX75 alum 2117 arrows with 125gr slick trick mags to fly same as my target tips, wasn't hard at all .......bob

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page