crossbow for a young guy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

crossbow for a young guy

Well my 9 year old is obsesses with hunting, took him squirrel hunting and deer hunting this year, and now he wants to go with a bow. He doesn't have the strength or size to shoot a compound like me, so i was wanting to get him a crossbow. Figure i wouldn't mind spending some money on something decent, but i need it to be extrememly light weight. I had a Barnett Buck Commander for a couple months last year and ended up selling it because it was just too heavy, and switched to a compound. Any advice on a good xbow that will last a while? I have a 3 year old daughter that i'm getting in the woods as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: crossbow for a young guy

I'd check with Barnett,i'm sure they have something and they've been around the longiest and customer service is great...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Regular Visitor

Can a 9 yr old legally archery hunt? My son is 9 and wants to bow hunt also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paoutdoorsman714
Any advice on a good xbow that will last a while? I have a 3 year old daughter that i'm getting in the woods as well.
If you want the longest lasting crossbow I would look at the Excaliburs. They are without a doubt the longest lasting crossbows out there. Parker crossbows come with a lifetime warranty too. Winchester is going to have a lifetime warranty as well. If you need any help just give me a call and I'll be happy to talk crossbows with you.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimneye
Check the mentored youth regulations. I think the rules have been changed to allow it as long as you are with him.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah it says in the mentored youth section they can take a deer in "any of there respective seasons", and i see guys on here posting pictures of MY with deer and crossbows. So i'm guessing it's ok.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A crossbow are OK, but for a vertical bow needs to be 35# or over for big game 45# for elk.

Here is what I found in title 58,

§ 141.43. Deer.
(a) Archery deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. <span style="color: #FF0000">A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds.</span> An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii) A crossbow and bolt. <span style="color: #FF0000">A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds.</span> A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length. This subparagraph shall become effective July 1, 2009, and expire on June 30, 2012, unless the Commission authorizes its continued legal effectiveness prior to June 30, 2012.

§ 141.44. Bear.
(a) Archery bear season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt bear during the archery bear season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length. This subparagraph shall become effective July 1, 2009, and expire on June 30, 2012, unless the Commission authorizes its continued legal effectiveness prior to June 30, 2012.

§ 141.45. Turkey.
(a) Fall turkey season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).

(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.

(iii) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(iv) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

b) Spring turkey season.
(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the spring turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.

(ii) A bow and arrow as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iii).

(iii) A crossbow and bolt as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iv).

§ 141.47. Elk.
(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt elk during the elk season with any of the following devices: (1) A manually operated, centerfire rifle or handgun. The firearm must be a .27 caliber or larger firearm that propels single-projectile ammunition 130 grains or larger.

(2) A manually operated, centerfire shotgun. The firearm must be a 12 gauge or larger firearm.

(3) A muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be .50 caliber or larger firearm that propels single-projectile ammunition 210 grains or larger.

(4) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 45 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 1 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(5) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 1 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

§ 141.22. Small game.
(a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that projects multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot).

(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(4) A bow and arrow.

(5) A crossbow and bolt.

(6) A raptor. The raptor must be lawfully possessed under a falconry permit pursuant to section 2925 of the act (relating to falconry permits).

There is no minimum draw weight for small game

Bowtech Strikezone 380 - XB30
Monster MR6- HHA - QAD Ultra Rest
Middleton Black 375 SS - XB30
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimneye
Yes he can. Make sure to read all the rules and regs of the Mentored youth program.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Regular Visitor

Sounds good. Paoutdoordman when you find a x-bow that works for your son please let me know. thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 PM

I would try an Excalibur Vixen II.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page