I'd be wasting my $$, right? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I'd be wasting my $$, right?

Okay, I've been a rifle hunter for nearly the past 30 years, but I can't seem to get up into the northern woods lately so any hunting I do this year will be limited to WMU's 5C and 5D. Consequently, I'm considering a crossbow. They're legal and (pretty much) silent so they won't arouse the local PD if I let a bolt loose in a local township that prohibits shooting a slug gun or muzzleloader.

Anyway, last week I visited the Bass Pro shop in Harrisburg and they had plenty of crossbows for sale. The cheapest one was around $400. Yet on Ebay I see plenty for around $150 or less which have at least a 125 lb draw weight, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180-lb-Camouflag...=item3f0ed52cf5

Since I'm a total n00b when it comes to crossbows or archery equipment, would I be throwing my $$ away on a set-up like that or could I reasonably expect to hit a deer at 30-40 yards with a crossbow like that and a few hours of practice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: I'd be wasting my $$, right?

I got my Parker for 325 complete. I would stay away from off name brands. I had the same question last year and glad i went with name brand products. Research the company and model on the net to find what others say. Best of luck

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Check out Arrow Precision...I have the Fury. Very reasonably priced and very accurate. I got it as a "starter" and decided it will do me for a few years. They are made here in SE Pa as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybjr
Since I'm a total n00b when it comes to crossbows or archery equipment, would I be throwing my $$ away on a set-up like that or could I reasonably expect to hit a deer at 30-40 yards with a crossbow like that and a few hours of practice?
Glad to hear of another whose interest was peaked by the crossbow. Yes, one of those crossbows will kill deer. With that said, it will be well worth it in the long run to save a few more bucks and invest in a proven bow backed up by a establish crossbow company whose products have been proven to be reliable and effecient.

Just about every crossbow manufacturer offers bows at the $400 price point. Look at you investment just the same as you would a new firearm or compound. Take care of it and enjoy it for many, many years.

Look at Wicked Ridge, Parker Bushwacker and Excalibur Axiom.

Best of luck to you and please show us your successes.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:50 AM

Buy a Parker crossbow with the lifetime guarantee, best money you can spend. Even if you think the technology will improve, it can't improve enough to dramatically affect archery hunting from 30 yds and in. My closeout Parker Terminator is at 340 f/s. I have no doubt that my it will be just as effective 20 yrs from now as it is today with the proper maintenance.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Look at an excalibur. 100 % gaurentee, less moving parts, well woth the money. You bust it they fix it. Check out their forum and ask some questions there.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A few points to consider. The bow linked to has a 180 lb. draw weight, but it only has a 10 inch power stroke. Power stroke is very important to a recurve crossbow such as the one pictured. Even though it has a 180 lb. limb it won't have much time to transfer it's energy to the arrow, and does it in such a way that it is quickly lost. It will have an effective range of 20 yards.

An Excalibur 175 lb. crossbow uses a 14 1/2 inch power stroke. The longer power stroke of the Excalibur will do a much more efficient transfer of power to the arrow. It will also have a longer effective range.

Think of baseball and bunting versus a good follow through and how the power of the bat is transferred to the ball. Crossbows work in a similar way, and especially recurve crossbows.

There are a few options for a quality crossbow under $300 if you are looking to save some money and get a really good weapon. Give me a call at 814-662-4321 in the evening and I'll be happy to talk crossbow with you.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM

jaybjr: Do yourself a big favor and give Arrowhead a call. I jost bought my first this year for the kids and he took care of us. I also agree with dpms. I had an older gentlement tell me don't settle for something, wait and get what you want, "Cry Once" he said. I assume about spending the money. I prefer my compound but the crossbow is growing on me.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Arrowhead-------Generous offer. Wished more like you were around to go the extra mile to help a fellow hunter. Kudos

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM

For $300 brand new, it's hard to beat the Barnett Jackal, got one this fall and am very impressed with it. Remember, it's a $300 package not 5-6-$700, so fit and finish isn't what those others are, but for a less expensive bow to start with' I think it's great.

Alrighty then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page