crossbow for kids - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

crossbow for kids

Hello all,

I think I might have talked the wife into letting me buy a crossbow for my daughter fox christmas. I don't ever think she will hunt despite my best efforts but she does like to shoot. I am wondering what is an affordable one that she could use. I have one that I bought from a coworker for $40.00 but it is a 150lb pull and I want something she will be able to use by herself. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

P.s. I have been looking at something simple like this. Crossbow what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: crossbow for kids

I would get one that will last for several seasons of shooting and is easy on the servings. One that you can maintain would be a huge bonus. If she enjoys it, she will likely spend alot of time shooting it.

The Excalibur Apex is a 90 lb. target crossbow that will last a lifetime. There is also an Apex Light with a 40 lb. draw weight. Either one would be an excellent choice.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Arrowhead,

Just curious would something like the one above I recommended be strong enough for deer hunting? Just tonight my daughter when from "I just want to shoot" to "I think I want to try hunting"

Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 AM

In PA the minimum draw weight for a crossbow is 125 lb IIRC.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 AM

For a crossbow that is gonna be shot alot and maybe used for hunting, I would opt for a Excalibur. Basically, they are bit lighter up front and ultra reliable.

They make several lighter models that are relatively easy to cock with a rope cocker and a cinch with a crank. Look at the Vixen or Axiom. All the power that is needed for hunting and still fun to shoot.

Unfortuantely, once you start talking hunting bows, the prices go up. The Excalibur will serve you both for many, many years.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:09 AM

The Excal Vixen would be perfect for her.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, the Vixen II would be the best choice for hunting. It's stock is sized for the smaller framed shooters and would likely fit her very well. Very reliable and will last for many, many years. It will also meet the minimum weight for hunting. The Apex wouldn't meet that requirement.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

OK Now that I have spent a lot of time looking at this, I am realizing I might be beyond my knowledge base. What FPS should I be looking for? I am trying to find something used as I'm not sure if she really is into this or not. I have also been searching ebay and craigslist but there are so many different options I just am not sure what I need/want. Spending $400 on a crossbow isn't in my budget especially since I don't think I will use it. I have a vertical bow that I am in love with.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Another option that I failed to mention is I have this crossbow. It has a 150lb pull weight and I just replaced the string and arm. She is very comfortable shooting it by herself, think it is powerful enough to harvest efficiently? I know shot placement is more important than speed, but I want to make sure I'm not limiting myself too much.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is that a Wham-O ? I haven't seen one in a long time. There was a trigger recall on most of the Wham-O crossbows a few years back. You might want to check it to be sure.

If you keep your range within 20 yards you should be good with that bow in a 150 lb. limb. It won't have the power of the Excalibur because of the length of the powerstroke, but it should get the job done at very close range.

That being said, you might want to invest in a more powerful crossbow to help insure her success. It is a great confidence builder if she can cleanly harvest game and build on that. If she has a marginal hit with the crossbow above it might give her a bad experience.

There are a few options you have if your budget allows for a $299 crossbow. The Barnett Jackyl is getting great reviews. There is the PSE Copperhead and it's improved for this year. I tested the PSE last year to 1250 shots and it kept on going. Both would have a warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page