Crossbow hobby ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Crossbow hobby ?

Just curious.I have been a archery hunter for almost 30 years.Have most of you given up archery or takin up the X/Bow because of phyically not bein able to draw back a bow?I have heard that this is the main reason for the X/Bows popularity.I too someday get one but right now am happy with my bow.Do any of you trade on and off with both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Crossbow hobby ?

I go back and forth between my Recurve bow and my Vision 175 crossbow....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

I gave up bowhunting (vertical bow) a couple of years ago due to shoulder and elbow problems but just recently got a crossbow to hunt with. I hunted over 40 years with the bow.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just went thru my 42th season (recurve and compound), a shoulder injury made this year a little more challenging, will be purchasing a cross bow for next hunting season as a backup for the times when I am unable to shoot the compound.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Personally, I just like to shoot and hunt with them.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for your responses.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like to hunt with the crossbow and I will still use a compound for certain stands. The compound didn't get hunted this season because I wasn't able to pull it. (sometimes I can and sometimes I can't) I have a history of back and shoulder problems that has kept me out of the game since 1994.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:52 AM

I got one a couple months ago, I just started archery hunting about 3 seasons ago. I killed 3 deer with the compound, and missed some also.
Alot of times I'll hunt in new areas, and some times just have a couple hours after work to hit a new local spot. For me being in a new spot, its easier to throw on the leafy suit, look for some sign and set up on the ground, instead of looking for that "perfect" tree for a climber. And in my eyes a crossbow is easier to hunt from the ground with.
And I just plain think they're an awesome weapon.

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Personally, I just like to shoot and hunt with them.
DItto this...

I never realized it til I got one for my son at 12 and then hunted with them though how PERFECT they are for my hunting property. Our place we hunt is a rectangle, less than 300 yards across and goes for about a mile. In the 5 years of ownership we have taken 17 deer off that land, 8 with a rifle/in-line,8 with a crossbow, and 1 with a compound. And not once have we had to leave our property to recover the deer, NOT ONCE and with yellow signs surrounding us completly that is HUGE to me, just HUGE...Now before guys say well you could do the same with a compound and some practice i will say I doubt it. Considering those crossbow kills were made from hunters 8-43 years old,+ in my experience you give me 8 vert bow kills to track and my guess is at least a couple are going to be over 200 or so yards and pushing the lines. The pinpoint accuracy of the crossbow has really helped eliminate those couple inches this way or that that give a deer just a little longer post shot lifespan than we want up there with <300 yards of width total. Once I realized this, well I now own 3 and am darn proud of it too as it is a deer micro-manager's dream weapon to extend the season and get more close range views before the shot for all hunters.

I know it will someday happen with the crossbows or even the rifle that I will have to go see a neighbor and cross the line (some I already have that agreement with and we are highly respective of it all around), but the only deer to make it off our place on their feet so far have been misses and no shots, I am DARN PROUD of all my hunters for making that happen no matter what they are shooting at them with. DARN PROUD as it also turns a small slice of a great hunting hill into a GREAT PLACE for a families to hunt, without all the troubles of dealing with neighbors you just rather not have to go see during your hunting days there. It is all happening on our turf and that is big to me as the smallest property owner on the hill.

And for that I say...from my cold dead fingers on our Parker crossbows, 8 deer hate ya, 4+ hunters love ya. For those that hunt real tight spots, where access around you is less than let's say welcoming..I highly recommend them, it is the perfect club to pull out of the golf bag for that situation, not to mention how many hunt days it adds to all members of your hunting gang. Best thing since we sharpened that first stick and threw it at something.

I still have my compound and recurve, but they are not my first choice for knocking a deer down within those parameters and since that is where we hunt 90% of the time now they are getting dusty. Someday on the recurve when I got days on end to fill, but not right now and not up there.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I wonder if X/Bows will eventually dominate sales in archery like inlines have done to f/locks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page