Rage question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Rage question

I need to use the back up to my back up bow until I get a part in that I ordered. My son is gonna use my good bow while I use my oldest bow. Its a Horton 150 lb and I have it sighted in with Horton aluminum bolts. I have been shooting the 2 blade 100 grain, standard size Rages with my regular bow. Do you think this set up will be enough energy for the Rages?? Otherwise I gotta dig out some fixed blades and get them sighted in...

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rage question

We have had so many problems with the Rage, I would just start with the fixed blades and go from there.
If you do decide to use the rage heads, make sure the blades are turned so they can't hit the foot stirrup if they deploy before they leave the bow.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I just got some to try this year. A guy I work with sold me 6 for $20. I was short on cash and heads so I gave them a try. Killed deer #2 with them tonight (my kid did with my good bow). Both were quick kills, with a short recovery. But I do worry about the blades coming open early. They seem to open a bit if you bump them etc... so I find myself checking it constantly while I'm hunting. I also got new O rings to be sure they a plenty strong. Some look a little dry rotted. But they seem fairly strong, and in good shape after I shot them. I hope to re-sharpen them and re-use them.
What problems were you hearing about with them???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 AM

i have shot 6 deer with them . i am not that happy with them . but i am not having as quick experation time as i was with the muzzys.my 8 point lived 8 min double lunged it .thats to long.i am going back to fixed blades this year
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Ya really hear so much, both ways.... good and bad. It's a tough call, what to shoot.... I shot a buck back in October, went about 50 yards and crashed. Tonight my son shot a doe, went about the same and he saw her go head over heels... I do worry about the blades bumping open though...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM

my frineds have had the blades come open in flight be4 .i think they are tearing threw the deer more than cutting..some of my other frineds are seeing the same thing.all you can do is try them on several deer and see..i use the 3 blades ?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All the ones we tested opened the instant the trigger broke. I would imagine that a crossbow shooting less than 285 f.p.s. they should be ok. It seemed like once we passed the 300 f.p.s. barrier everything changed.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 01:32 PM

i shot 4 with the compound the 2 previous season and 2 this year with a crossbow .i hope they didnt open be 4 they hit the deer.i am allways up for something better.but i am not sold on these..i think you are gona hear this more and more.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Would be interesting to see with a high speed video camera from the launch.... And see if they open or try to open... I was looking at them tonight. I wonder if you would put a small light weight rubber band on the front, near (just before) where they pivot. It would just break or tear when they start to open....

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

How would you know if they opened early?? They cut on impact, so you'd have a cutting wound at the in hole....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page