What the crossbow has done...Amazing! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

What the crossbow has done...Amazing!

You know as the owner of this site for 5+ years now i have seen just about everything debated to the nth degree. Some things I knew how i felt about it right away, some things i did 180's on as the facts came in, some things the jury is still out...but one thing I realized THIS year is that crossbow has been the biggest mover and shaker in hunter participation that this state has done in decades. Now I am not going to link up a bunch of studies to prove this...I am just going to relay to you my 2011. At this point I must give credit as well to the mentor doe tag transfer, but even without that I think we would of ALL been out there chasing bucks maybe just not being as successful.

10/1/2011 My son Joey 8 takes his first deer with a crossbow

10/8/2011 My nephew Mick 10 got his first using a crossbow

10/15/2011 My niece and god daughter Leigh gets her first with a crossbow

And what did it do for me in a couple years??

Not to mention two does for me and one for my other son (14)

Now I sit here on 11/3 a Thursday night and i got my Dad (71) coming up for a two day hunt with his crossbow, my father in law who hunted our place this week, and a got a 3 generation hunt coming up on Saturday...with Dad, me and my son (14) and likely others taking their kids up in our group. Not doing deer drives and taking 100 yard shots like many can remebmer being said , but sitting in stand and hoping for that close encounter with a PA whitetail just like any other archer.

Now some will say we all could be shooting compounds, but i tell you right now no one loves hunting more than us and this statement would simply not hold true here, we all own compounds (short of some of the kids) we have for years and years, and this type of stuff never happened in all those years, we were solo hunters period, not sharing hunts and NOT taking kids that is for darn sure.

Say what you will, but I have seen change in PA hunting, lots of it, and NOTHING has rocked the PA hunting scene in a more positive way than the inclusion of the crossbow in archery season, but heck if you are reading this you already know that. And here I had some skeptisism back at the beginning on this one for that I show some shame.

My Dad sounded like a 12 year old kid on the phone today and should be here in about an hour, if i get a call while at work tomorrow from him I will go absolutely nuts....yeah PA makes some good moves too, and life is good in the Keystone state.

GOD BLESS AND ENJOY!!! We sure the heck are and I only wish ALL the best!! Get out there these are the days you will remember in that rocking chair!!

John

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: What the crossbow has done...Amazing!

Good post
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Sage

Can't top that!

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:27 PM

Not hijacking your thread RB but I feel the same way that you do. I thought I would provide some backup to yours. I didn't show the pics on here, but we have three generations hunting with the crossbow. My dad would not want his pics posted on a public forum so that is why I have never posted them. He killed a 10 point the same night that Colton killed his buck and he killed a doe the same night as one of my does. So in three generations we have killed 7 deer this season with the crossbow with 3 being bucks.

I used to hunt alot with the vertical bow, but with some changes in work I never had the time for the last 5 or 6 years. Well another change a little over a year ago allowed me to archery hunt again. I would have probably went back to the vertical bow, but with Colton starting to hunt I decided to go the crossbow route. This by far was the best archery season that I have enjoyed. My wife has said she might try it next year, so we might have another join the ranks.

Here is our first season with the crossbow.

Oct 7 Colton's button buck

Oct 17 Colton's Buck

Oct 18 My Doe

Oct 24 Another Doe

Oct 28 My buck

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

We got to get the tribes to meet up someday Cspot...

That is not a hijack, that is a confirmation and reinforcement of my findings here.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
We got to get the tribes to meet up someday Cspot...

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:40 PM

Not only do I agree with you RB, I will add that it gives us older hunters a chance to get back in the woods and have a regained confidence of making a humane shot. As a hunter who had given up the Archery aspect several years before the vote for inclusion I can honestly say that I am as excited about being in the woods tomorrow and Saturday as I ever was. Crossbows are definitely the "blue pill" for aged archers.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 PM

I have been hunting for 28 years. Have seen alot come and go. There are three recent intitiatives that have generated a new excitement for hunting that I haven't see before.

Youth seasons, the mentored youth intitiative and crossbow inclusion.

Use to be hesitant about crossbow inclusion, then worked very hard to see it happen. I am loving what I am seeing and hearing every day. Great stuff.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 AM
The Man

Genesis 27:3
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great post and I agree 100%. I was on the not so sure side, but Ive seen the light. My 8 yr old son whacked a nice 8 point the first week. Life is good in PA!!!

Take a kid hunting, it's the future of our sport and the future is now!
Wired Outdoors, Field Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page