Kinetic Energy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kinetic Energy

Good comparison with different crossbows regarding kinetic energy. The crossbow I shot was the TenPoint Stealth which has 95.5 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. That is the low range of kinetic energy for the crossbows listed!

Although the only drawback I see for this particular bow is the price, it seems well suited for hunting. Nice and compact, quiet, fast, balanced, out of the box accuracy.

http://www.maximumhunting.com/produc...ow-comparison/

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Re: Kinetic Energy

How fast does the KE drop off with range compared to a compound bow with similar speed and arrow weight? Or is there no diff?

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good question. The lighter the projectile, the quicker the energy will be lost. Also, the more surface area of the projectile, the quicker the energy will be lost due to drag forces.

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Here is a link: http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...tion/index.cfm You can figure your arrow's KE It also contains much other good information.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to archer1214

[quote=Double Lung 20]Good question. The lighter the projectile, the quicker the energy will be lost. Also, the more surface area of the projectile, the quicker the energy will be lost due to drag forces.

I'm not sure I agree,but I'm no expert. The way it was once put to me is..if you shoot 2 different weight arrows,say a 350 grain and a 450 gr. out of the same 60 lb bow, both arrows being fletched and tiped the same,the 450 will bleed off energy quicker(hence the faster drop)than the 350. Also put to me , the longer the shaft,(wihtin reason ofcourse) the more room for stored energy. I'm not arguing with you but that makes sense,to me anyway

In the land of the blind,the one eyed man is king

NRA member
NAHC Life Member

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's not correct. The heavier arrow doesn't drop more because it loses energy faster. Both arrows will drop at the same rate, but the lighter arrow will impact higher than the heavier arrow because it reaches the target faster. The effect of gravity on an arrow has nothing to do with arrow weight. It has to do with the time between release and impact. Therefore, the arrow that travels slower will have more time to drop.

This also brings up the point of efficiency. There is a sweet spot between an ultra light arrow and a heavy arrow that will best transfer energy down range. A faster arrow does not mean it has more energy.

God Bless the USA.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to archer1214

Ok, thanks for clearing that up

In the land of the blind,the one eyed man is king

NRA member
NAHC Life Member

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Lung 20
Although the only drawback I see for this particular bow is the price, it seems well suited for hunting. Nice and compact, quiet, fast, balanced, out of the box accuracy.
Been using the Stealth exclusively this year. A great bow for hunting.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
This also brings up the point of efficiency. There is a sweet spot between an ultra light arrow and a heavy arrow that will best transfer energy down range. A faster arrow does not mean it has more energy.
For that reason I tend to shoot heavier arrows. Plus heavier arrows tend to result in less vibration and noise during the shot.

I never bought into the speed craze with crossbows.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Quote:
Been using the Stealth exclusively this year. A great bow for hunting.
It surely isn't the fastest crossbow out there, but it's definitely the one I would consider buying right now. I am going to look at some other crossbows and see what my father likes best. Then we will probably purchase one here in the next year or so. We aren't looking for a super fast bow, but rather one that would be compact and quiet. Crossbows are tough to shoot behind a tree, so we want something that will allow us to have the optimal range of motion.

God Bless the USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page