The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Kinetic Energy

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  bobby2bears 
#1 ·
Good comparison with different crossbows regarding kinetic energy. The crossbow I shot was the TenPoint Stealth which has 95.5 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. That is the low range of kinetic energy for the crossbows listed!

Although the only drawback I see for this particular bow is the price, it seems well suited for hunting. Nice and compact, quiet, fast, balanced, out of the box accuracy.

http://www.maximumhunting.com/product-guide/crossbow-comparison/

#5 ·
Double Lung 20 said:
Good question. The lighter the projectile, the quicker the energy will be lost. Also, the more surface area of the projectile, the quicker the energy will be lost due to drag forces.

I'm not sure I agree,but I'm no expert. The way it was once put to me is..if you shoot 2 different weight arrows,say a 350 grain and a 450 gr. out of the same 60 lb bow, both arrows being fletched and tiped the same,the 450 will bleed off energy quicker(hence the faster drop)than the 350. Also put to me , the longer the shaft,(wihtin reason ofcourse) the more room for stored energy. I'm not arguing with you but that makes sense,to me anyway

#6 ·
That's not correct. The heavier arrow doesn't drop more because it loses energy faster. Both arrows will drop at the same rate, but the lighter arrow will impact higher than the heavier arrow because it reaches the target faster. The effect of gravity on an arrow has nothing to do with arrow weight. It has to do with the time between release and impact. Therefore, the arrow that travels slower will have more time to drop.

This also brings up the point of efficiency. There is a sweet spot between an ultra light arrow and a heavy arrow that will best transfer energy down range. A faster arrow does not mean it has more energy.

#8 ·
Double Lung 20 said:
Although the only drawback I see for this particular bow is the price, it seems well suited for hunting. Nice and compact, quiet, fast, balanced, out of the box accuracy.
Been using the Stealth exclusively this year. A great bow for hunting.

#9 ·
Double Lung 20 said:
This also brings up the point of efficiency. There is a sweet spot between an ultra light arrow and a heavy arrow that will best transfer energy down range. A faster arrow does not mean it has more energy.
For that reason I tend to shoot heavier arrows. Plus heavier arrows tend to result in less vibration and noise during the shot.

I never bought into the speed craze with crossbows.

#10 ·
dpms said:
Double Lung 20 said:
Been using the Stealth exclusively this year. A great bow for hunting.
It surely isn't the fastest crossbow out there, but it's definitely the one I would consider buying right now. I am going to look at some other crossbows and see what my father likes best. Then we will probably purchase one here in the next year or so. We aren't looking for a super fast bow, but rather one that would be compact and quiet. Crossbows are tough to shoot behind a tree, so we want something that will allow us to have the optimal range of motion.

#11 ·
dpms said:
Double Lung 20 said:
For that reason I tend to shoot heavier arrows. Plus heavier arrows tend to result in less vibration and noise during the shot.

I never bought into the speed craze with crossbows.
Agreed. This is very wise, especially for hunting. I shoot heavier arrows out of my compound to maximize the downrange energy after impact.

#12 ·
Double Lung 20 said:
Crossbows are tough to shoot behind a tree, so we want something that will allow us to have the optimal range of motion.
The TenPoint Stealth and Turbo are very narrow. Parker Tornado isn't too bad either. The Horton Vision is super narrow and the quietest crossbow I ever shot.

None of these bows are fast in the crossbow world but great for treestand hunting.

#13 ·
I shot a Parker Tornado. I thought it was noticeably louder than the TenPoint. I might have shot the Turbo and not the Stealth. I forget. It was one of them and I really liked it. Question...Am I paying for the name TenPoint? Or, is it truly a superior weapon compared to other brands? They just seem much more pricey.

#14 ·
I shot several different brands before getting the Stealth. The narrow limb width handles nice in a treestand. I had several guys shoot mine that have other brands, they were all immediately sold on the Tenpoint, and a couple have already sold their bows and purchased a Stealth. And the customer service has been top notch. Twice I emailed them with a question and received a phone call from a rep within a couple hours. Real nice folks to chat with.

#15 ·
Double Lung 20 said:
Question...Am I paying for the name TenPoint? Or, is it truly a superior weapon compared to other brands? They just seem much more pricey.
Here is a interview Crossbow Magazine did with TenPoint's CEO. He addresses your question from his point of view. http://www.crossbowmagazine.com/iv_rick_bednar.html

IMO, TenPoint is know for quality. Their compound crossbows are about as bulletproof as they come but, in the event of a problem, thier customer service and warranty is top notch. The TenPoint Accudraw self contained cocking mechanism is the industry benchmark. I like thier business model which is to focus on quality and customer satisfaction and not speed.

Here is a little story about TenPoint. When BowTech had a recall on their new StrykeZone crossbows, TenPoint offered a free loaner Turbo to every Strykezone owner that wanted one. These are $900 bows.

As I said before, I highly recommend Parker, TenPoint and Excalibur because of their warranties and customer service along with the quality bows they produce. These are the three bows that I have.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.