Seting the stage.. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Seting the stage..

Well i did get out today almost all day...but the rain and a high school football game tonight ended my day a bit early.

But just wanted to share with my crossbow brothers the events of the day since a few gave me some well wishings.

Headed in at daylight just slow sneaking along solo, 2 deer were in the field that Joey and Mick scored in, one small buck and a doe bedded. Further up the hill I decided to take stand in the ridgeline stand, still pretty breezy up there and a few rain showers but a nice sit overall looking out over the clearcuttings

Nothing moving , did some grunting and canning, and even a little rattle bag...nothing. Decided to pull cam cards up there and get home for lunch since the kids got out at 11 today and john and I are hunting the afternoon. Got up on the ridgetop and 3 nice does were bedded but wanted nothing of me and my orange. All is not lost however as i get up to where they were bedded and see this...

...20 yards behind the stand I got one and missed one out of last Novemebr, in fact if you look close you can see the ladder right to the right of the rub. Get home check the cards and am figuring this guy is the culprit, the guy i missed last year...this cam is RIGHT below the ridgeline stand I was in before, nice shot opp on the wrong day....I got a mock scrape there but it is covered with leaves, or was til this morning. I hit it with some estrus scent since we will be there in the AM tomorrow.

After lunch John and i felt like exploring some instead of stand sitting so he took the .243 and me the binocs and we explored across the road from the house where they have been logging. I use to hunt there alot and did pretty well too, and we see deer near the road all the time (after dark) . So we toured the new logtrails there in the rain...we saw 3 deer, a nice buck making a scrape and man did it stink when we looked at it, a doe that would not stop trotting for a shot but did get our hearts going, then another small buck on our way out. Just a nice afternoon of exploring that got us tired enough that stand sitting tomorrow should be more welcomed.

Stage is set the does are around the bucks are trickling in..tomorrow the lease behind me has their annual pheasant hunt so it may get them moving more in our direction...only one way to tell.

OK off to watch some football, and my daughter rock out at halftime..early to bed and early to rise. GOOD LUCK GUYS!!

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Re: Seting the stage..

And what a stage it is. Thanks for posting.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 PM
The Man

Awesome buck on the trail cam. Good luck in the days ahead !

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:40 PM
The Man

Cant wait for a update tomarrow !!!!!
The rain finally has pretty much come to a stop here.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Nice buck, nice pics, and good luck tomorrow. Hope to see a few more posts in the youth success forum!!!

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great report, RB. And great buck!! Hope you guys get an opportunity tomorrow. Good luck!

Home: 4D & 4B. Camp: 2G & Kentucky
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Sage

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Well no harvest today but we certainly could of have some fresh backstraps had we taken the shot. Got up early and John and I headed up to the ridgeline stand, about 8:15 a doe and two fawns appear from the left, then movement to the right, a doe and fawn...well the girlfriends are here so with two does already taken off the property and our desire to keep these ones around til they cycle thru heat , we passed several perfect shots on the does....I did manage a nice little video..Click on pic, she heard the camera opening

Proud of the fact John passed on these , a sacrifice for a 14 year old looking for that bigger prize...and this 43 year old certainly did not need to take one. The meat would of really been welcomed, but we got time for that I hope.

I got Wed off solo, then hope to get the Mrs and John out for the first time this Saturday. A good hunter growth day eventhough a shot was never fired.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Awesome John!! Looks like some good days are ahead
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 PM
The Man

Genesis 27:3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page