Here is a thought - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Here is a thought

You see these posts on the Crossbow forum that are really starting to anger me. There is no reason for anyone on this sight or this forum to make any excuses why took a deer with a crossbow. You need not say you got hurt... you made a good shot, you recovered the animal. There is no reason to lessen the experience because you feel others will accept the fact you used a Crossbow because you have a limitation. This site and other debated this issue over an over and I am not trying to start any long debate with compound users (I am one), traditional bow hunters, or crossbow hunters. I use a compound, and a crossbow. What bothers me is that it is still considered a lesser weapon, an easier weapon, etc... You need not make excuses. Each weapon has its own issues when hunting and that too has been debated over an over... just enjoy your success.

jmdb25

Take a Kid hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Here is a thought

Amen to that
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I didnt read on in the post 1st Crossbow Kill. I see others feel the same way.

I am done now and will not comment on the subject.

jmdb25

Take a Kid hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
RB
Sage

It will go away eventually jmdb25..I see it too. I mean how many in OH still say it?

For those that did get injured and started using a crossbow and had a successful season in PA, man I love those stories, a Godsend for those guys.

Although the first xbow I bought was for my kid because I wanted him to have some punch when he shot, the day we got it and started using it and stacking bolts. I knew a new era had begun for us and now we got 3 Parkers and still 0 injuries and are having a ball. Both my boys already had great quick close range kill experiences, and I hope to add my Mrs to the list on 10/29 her first availabe hunt day this year.

I got 3 deer since they were added and shared them all here and never had more fun with the archery season. I have turned alot of people onto crossbows, especially this past year, lots of young healthy folks and a few of the older guys in the gang too who maybe gave up on deer before Thanksgiving. Some with ailments, some not. THAT is what I like about the weapon and the change...that is what others don't, it is all inclusive, at first many switching over do have injuries that put them out of the game, but as the years pass it will be more of what weapon do i feel like today type thing for many. I promise.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wasn't one of the arguments from the crossbow crowd the fact that they said they wanted another choice for a weapon? Why can't somebody post the reason why THEY CHOSE that weapon, whether it be a rifle, longbow, compound, or crossbow? If they're proud of their animal and their story, share it! Don't hide the reason you CHOSE to hunt with a weapon. That's nothing to be ashamed of. If you got hurt and chose to shoot a crossbow instead of not hunting, share it! What a great addition to a story!

God Bless the USA.

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM

I'm not ashamed...my wife wife bought me mine as an Anniversary present.

I took last year off from Archery and she got me back out there! This past Sunday, she was even eyeing up a older Hoyt Pro hunter recurve!

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB-HPA
Although the first xbow I bought was for my kid because I wanted him to have some punch when he shot, the day we got it and started using it and stacking bolts.
It is the generation of instant gratification. That's what is wrong with society. Let's look at some examples aside from hunting and try to tie this together.

The majority of people don't go out and buy some expensive hot car for their first car, do they? They work hard, save money, and each new car they graduate to seems to be an improvement in some way.

How about homes? Your first home might be a small one bedroom apartment. You don't go and buy some million dollar home immediately, do you? You have to work hard, earn money, save money, and take years to get to purchase an amazing home.

How about your career? You don't start out at the top of the totem pole managing the company. You begin at the bottom, work hard, earn money, PUT YOUR TIME IN, and work your way to the top.

How about your hunting gear? A lot of us started out with boots that weren't waterproof, no treestand, no carbon suits, no expensive gear. We got out because we enjoyed the sport. We were into the sport, NOT the weapon.

I started off shooting a shotgun with slugs for my first deer. Then I graduated to a bow that had no sights. It was 30 lbs and I killed deer with it. My passion to hunt kept me going, not the weapon. The farthest deer I killed with it was 15 yards. I didn't shoot a weapon with a PUNCH. My passion for hunting had the punch to keep me going, not the weapon.

Why should we introduce children to the Cadillac of weapons legal in the early archery season immediately? Oh yea...like I said before. The generation of instant gratification. Do you feel your kids will lose the passion to hunt if they had to use a 30 lb bow and shoot thousands of shots to hit a pie plate before the season?

For me it's not about the kill, or the weapon. It's about the preparation. I love the dedication required to scout, hang stands, cut shooting lanes, shoot a vertical bow, keep muscles strong enough to pull 70 lbs, maintain positive relationships with landowners, etc...

That's just me. I wasn't brought into hunting with this instant gratification Cadillac of weapons.

Good luck to all. If I needed a certain weapon to keep me interested in hunting, I would be hunting for the wrong reason.

God Bless the USA.

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
dce
Sage

That's pretty much the way I feel 100%.That's just me though.At the same time,something's happened to me over the past year or so and I no longer give a rat's fat behind about crossbow use in Pa.The way we're losing hunters in this day of instant gradification,I always knew crossbows would actually be needed.I think perhaps that time is now.It doesn't mean I have to like it but it's just the way it is.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There's plenty of bowhunters down where I am in a suburban area. Almost too many hunters even on private ground. It's even worse in the SRA's.

God Bless the USA.

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM
The Man

i am an avid compound guy. I have a crossbow and pick not to use it to hunt with. Do i care what your use no. As far as compound guys razzing crossbow users. I want a traditional guy to razz a compound guy and tell him to take off the training wheels and see what their reply is.

Hunting is all a choice. If i want to use a bow in rifle good. Should i be little rifle hunters no.

How ever we should come together and address the issues of slob archery hunters that dont shoot often or sight in their broadheads, take unethical shots. Just my two cents.

This debate happens in trout fishing. Bait guys rip on fly fisherman, flyfisherman pick on bait fisherman. Enough is Enough. I am an avid flyfisherman and enjoy fishing with people who bait fish. I may even use bait now and again. Again this is my choice. I practice catch and release other do not. Big whoop. Some guys only fish for trophy trout other could care less. Same as antler vs meat hunters.

I need not press my views on people to belittle them into thinking i am better than them or my choice makes me a better outdoorsman. Instead i give them the option to learn how to use a fly rod or teach them to shoot a compound. Instead of badgering crossbow users offer to teach them to shoot a compound and show them why you have such a passion for it. I have instructed many to fly fish. Some have taken a liking to it and stuck with it others stayed with bait.

It is a CHOICE give it up already.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page