1st crossbow kill - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

1st crossbow kill

Due to my herniated disks and arthritis I bought a crossbow this year. Had a hard time standing to draw with the compound after sitting the last couple of years.
Hunting in a small apple orchard in Tioga co I had 2 doe and a BB run up Sat at 4pm. Arrowed the lead doe, thru and thru quartaring shot, dropped at 30yds. Glad they were moving in the wind.
They trotted up pretty fast to about 12yds from me, the trail doe could smell something, and was lookng at me and twitching, doubt I would have been able to draw and stand with my compound without being busted. The crossbow is definetly easier, like rifle shooting. I can think of several hunts in the past where I would have klled deer if I had been using the crossbow at that time.
First time using expandables, spitfire maxx's, man they destroyed the lungs and top of the heart on that doe, pretty sold on them.
Good to get meat, ready for the weather to cool down an the bucks to start moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 1st crossbow kill

Congrats!!

Thanks for admitting it is easier. Obviously it is because you had a hard time drawing your compound so you bought a crossbow instead. My father will be buying a crossbow and not a compound for his next purchase because he said there will be a time he can't pull back a compound as effectively as he can now. I also told him how amazingly accurate crossbows will shoot the first shot you take as I never shot a crossbow before and I went to Basspro and hit the head of a golf tee off hand on my first shot. Amazing. I never would've been able to see the golf tee without the scope.

God Bless the USA.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Nothing wrong with using what you have to to get out hunting.Sooner or later down the road some us may be faced with the same decision you had to make,but regardless what you used to harvest your deer,congrats.

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Congrats!

My father and I just discussed this as well...he hates to do it but he is going to have to start saving for one too eventually...he has a couple years yet, but he knows in time he will be more effective with a crossbow.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:21 PM
The Man

congrats!

Genesis 27:3
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Part of the Community

why does everyone act embarrassed to hunt with a crossbow, we dont with a rifle, if it bothered everyone that bad they would have taken a compound in rifle season, its legal, thats all that matters, i have both and hunt with both, its all part of hunting, thats all that matters...

hunting with a bow brings about a different challange on every hunt!!!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

congrats
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitlimb
why does everyone act embarrassed to hunt with a crossbow, we dont with a rifle, if it bothered everyone that bad they would have taken a compound in rifle season, its legal, thats all that matters, i have both and hunt with both, its all part of hunting, thats all that matters...
I don't see any embarrassment in the OP at all.

God Bless the USA.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Part of the Community

no what im saying is that it seems when someone tells you that they hunt with a crossbow, right away they have a bad shoulder or back, etc, you shouldnt have to defend yourself at all,

hunting with a bow brings about a different challange on every hunt!!!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitlimb
no what im saying is that it seems when someone tells you that they hunt with a crossbow, right away they have a bad shoulder or back, etc, you shouldnt have to defend yourself at all,
I didn't get any defensive vibe from him. He simply was telling his story. His story involves being hurt.

God Bless the USA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page