The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Crossbow hunting with Ghilli suit

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  bowhunterjac 
#1 ·
I don't climb so I never archery hunted. When crossbows came in I took the plunge as I could hunt from a blind. This year I bought a ghilli suit so I would be able to move around some. It's a good thing as sometime this week a bear decided to trash my new blind ( they have no regard for other peoples property)

On Thursday I started to go out through one of my food plots and I saw a coyote coming towards me. I'm standing with no cover and he walks up about 20 yds and never sees me. Scratch 1 yote My Cyclone comes through. 3hours later I was looking behind me and when I turned around there was another yote staring at me from 20 feet away. We eyeballed each other for about 5 minutes. Later that night I had a 4 pt and spike feeding within 10 feet of me as I was sitting against a tree. Yesterday I had a bear eating clover what turned out to be 7 paces away from me, never saw me. Tonight I had does and fawns walk right past me sitting in my blind chair on the edge of the field. Who needs a blind

#8 ·
About 10 years ago a friend of mine bought one of the first ones to come available and was really sold on it. Well, until a Mama bear and her 2 cubs decided to bed down for the morning about 20 steps from where he was sitting. Evidently the cubs didn't need as much sleep as their Mama and he was afraid to move in case he would peak their interest and come investigate. Several hours and many cramps later they finally moved off and I think that is when he retired the suit. That is about the same time we built him a fine treestand. lol They do work though!

#9 ·
Freedom of movement is better than I thought. I pretty much sit in one spot all the time. I put the hood on after I get to my spot and I had to do some trimming on the hood so I could see better. It is kind of heavy , I think it said 8 lbs with this warm weather you don't want to walk very far. I found out real quick that you don't want to sit in direct sun .

#13 ·
Actually I did check out Cabellas first. But I read a lot of reviews about both and people who had the Cabellas complained about it falling apart. People who bought from the place I did had very good reviews about it. I think it is all about the type of hunting you are going to do. If you aren't going to move much , 8 lbs won't be that bad

#16 ·
Just got one, opened it up tonight to check it out. Pretty cool... Seems pretty well made too, it's from Gander Mountain. From what I've heard, the more you use them, the better they look as they unravel and fray. I'm kind of interested now to de-scent this thing and give it a try.... It's not much heavier than my 3D leafy suit.

#19 ·
I purchased a Cabela's Realtree AP ghili suit earlier this year because I also do not climb too often. I haven't had an oppurtunity to try it out, but my Dad has done well wearing his. I will be using a compound from the ground, so hopefully the suit and my man-made blinds come through...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.