Frustrated! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Frustrated!

I bought a Horton HD 175 from a friend last year. Loved it and shot a doe with it the first time I hunted with it. Perfect double lung...she never made it 40 yards.
I made a few changes with my setup over the season in 5C and ended up using Easton Razers and G5 Strikers. Shot another doe at the end of the season...again she didn't make it more than 40 yards.
This year went shooting before the season opened and the bolts were all over the place...went to the local shop and the gentleman informed me that I shouldn't use my hands to cock the bow and to always use my cocking device because not using it can affect accuracy.
Went home that night after he helped me site it back in and so forth and was on. Shot a doe the next morning on opening day. 50 yard track job.
Made a bit hit on a doe this past Saturday and never recovered. Tracked for a while, just think I missed vitals.
Switched my broadheads again and tried a friends Muzzy 3blades last night. They didn't group as well as I htought the could so I bought new ones today. A 3 pack of MX-3s and a 3 pack of Horton FX pros. The Hortons are made by NAP and are the same as the Thunderheads.
Brought them home, put them on 6 brand new Razers and went out to shoot. THEY WERE ALL OVER THE PLACE AND I ENDED UP LOOSING BROADHEADS AND BOLTS IN THE BACK FIELD!!!!

WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE?!?!?!?! I am going back to the local shop tomorrow to see what they have to say...but thought I would maybe get some ideas here and go in with some ideas of what the problem might be. I really love archery season...and archery (also compounds and recurve but can't shoot right now because of a bad shoulder). I don't want to quit but it has crossed my mind!
Thanks for reading and any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Frustrated!

Could be a few things. Some things to check. Cam timing, all nuts and bolt to be sure they are tight, scope, scope mount and rings and any obstructions in the barrel channel. Weak limb? Measure from one limb to the front of the trigger box and then check that measurement with the other side (when cocked) Spin test your arrows. If this doens't get it give me a call I might be able to help in some way. After 5 P.M. is best. 814-662-4321

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Have the same Horton. My scope mounts came loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks arrowhead. I will check those things I haven't already checked. I will give you a call if I can't get this thing figured out.
BIG_BUCKS - the rings?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Went to the shop today and figured out the problem. The screw holding the scope in place was almost out! Tightened it up, shoot a few bolts and it is right on! I should be out Saturday with no issues. Can't believe I didn't see that for myself. I must have been so upset I overlooked it.
Thanks for the replies guys. Glad I didn't need to call you Arrowhead, but thanks for the offer and advice!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM

the rings horton gives you with these bows are junk trust me i know we have about 8 of these in the field and changed all the rings on them other then that would not give my vision up
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM

My bolts and screws never come loose because I use blue loctite on them.You can still remove them if you ever need to.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page