Wounding deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wounding deer

Not trying to slam anybody. Although I would think the crossbow is a more efficient weapon than a compound, it seems that more deer are wounded by crossbow shooters. I've talked to a lot of hunters that have wounded deer shooting a crossbow. See it on the forum as well. Just wondering why this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 06:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

it seems that more deer are wounded by crossbow shooters.

Basically you are asking about a factual, logical reason why more deer are wounded by crossbows than by other weapons.

Such a reason may or may not exist....I would think if it did, it would be some combination of arrow (bolt) weight, speed, type of broadhead, etc. All of these things are measurable and could be simulated in a lab somewhere.

The outliers would be shot placement, hunter skill, hunter ability to keep calm under the pressure of taking a shot, etc....none of which are measurable.

As far as your statement that crossbows wound more deer.....again....any numbers to support? studies done, etc?

Not trying to prove or disprove your statement...only pointing out that opinions rendered to a false or unproven premise are seldom worth the time it takes to write them, and Lord knows there are plenty of opinions on here.

Also, just to clarify...I am not a cross bow hunter.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 06:55 AM

Don't really agree with the OP suggesting that either. A crossbow is easier for someone unfortunate enough to have a handicap preventing a longbow or compound bow to be ethically used, but the differences end there IMO. A responsible hunter tunes his/her equipment as best possible, practices to gain proficiency with it, reguardless of it's description, and takes only shots that are reasonably able to be accomplished and effect a clean kill.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:13 AM

Bbutz show me on the forums where crossbow hunters wound deer and other types of weapons don't.When this goes the wrong direction this thread will be closed.The opening statement is half way there.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think I would say ," there is more game wounded by all weapons", because a person dose not practice enough, doesn't take there time to make a well place shot, or should let the animal walk because its not the perfect shot placement.
bohunr, Hiamovi, Dogface and 7 others like this.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbutz View Post
Not trying to slam anybody. Although I would think the crossbow is a more efficient weapon than a compound.
A weapon is only as efficient as the person using it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 09:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's not the weapon it's the person using the weapon...that said... crossbows have the least of a learning curve than other bows...a first time archery hunter is likely going to choose a crossbow to enter the archery seasons...the more inexperienced hunters will make the most mistakes.

Your mistake is separating hunters by their choice of weapons...instead of experience.
Muzz, Muzz, bohunr and 5 others like this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
It's not the weapon it's the person using the weapon...that said... crossbows have the least of a learning curve than other bows...a first time archery hunter is likely going to choose a crossbow to enter the archery seasons...the more inexperienced hunters will make the most mistakes.

Your mistake is separating hunters by their choice of weapons...instead of experience.
That is a very excellent comment.

When I got into archery hunting, I had some hard-core friends to help me learn. I had to reprogram my brain to bow hunt, not rifle hunt, there are a lot of different factors.

I think some of the manufacturers of crossbows and modern high-tech compounds are at fault. Publishing all of these insane bow speeds (which are measured under perfect, precise conditions) and people without the experience think that 50 and 60 yard shots are commonplace when in fact the vast majority of bow hunters, regardless of the bow type, have an ethical shot range much less than that.

Before it starts, I know there are individuals who can and have made such shots. What I am saying is, take 10,000 random bow hunters and drop them into a concert hall, then pull out 100 of the crowd. How many of the 100 would be able to make the ethical shot under hunting conditions at a distance of 50 yards? Not many is my bet. I've been at it now for more than 20 years, and my "in the woods" kill distance is 30 yards. I can shoot farther in my back yard or at 3D targets, but after sitting in a tree for a few hours in cooler weather, maybe in a seated or twisted position, well, you get the drift.

It is with experience and good mentoring that you learn your personal limits. With any weapon. It's just that a crossbow lends itself a little bit more to taking some experiences a person may have had as a rifle hunter and transferring them to the crossbow because it looks and handles like a rifle. That 50-yard shot may be a slam dunk with the .270, but it is anything but with any bow.

But gun hunters to the same thing. The traditional "sight in" is off of a bench at a measured 100 yards over a flat landscape. People dial in their scopes and can make tight groups off the sandbags. Try to have them hit a pie plate, standing off hand, at 50 yards. Once again, it's back to the experience and mentoring of the hunter.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbutz View Post
Not trying to slam anybody. Although I would think the crossbow is a more efficient weapon than a compound, it seems that more deer are wounded by crossbow shooters. I've talked to a lot of hunters that have wounded deer shooting a crossbow. See it on the forum as well. Just wondering why this is.
You talked to a lot of hunters? How many would that be? I don't know how many you've talked to, but I Admin a hunting dot com where I'd bet there are a heck of a lot more success stories by crossbow users than this 'lot' that you've talked to who indicate some sort of negative results. Maybe you could come back with some published results of studies that show your theory to be true, but until you can do just that there can be no value to such a theory.
Dogface and flintlock hunter like this.

MAGA 2020
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:47 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethFrumAbuv View Post
... I think some of the manufacturers of crossbows and modern high-tech compounds are at fault. Publishing all of these insane bow speeds (which are measured under perfect, precise conditions) and people without the experience think that 50 and 60 yard shots are commonplace when in fact the vast majority of bow hunters, regardless of the bow type, have an ethical shot range much less than that....

... I've been at it now for more than 20 years, and my "in the woods" kill distance is 30 yards. I can shoot farther in my back yard or at 3D targets, but after sitting in a tree for a few hours in cooler weather, maybe in a seated or twisted position, well, you get the drift.

It is with experience and good mentoring that you learn your personal limits... Once again, it's back to the experience and mentoring of the hunter.

^ This ^

Crossbows have their advantages, but trajectory and ballistics aren't among them. Archery is a short range game, even with a crossbow.
bohunr, Dogface, basdjs and 7 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page