Wounding deer - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:51 AM

I think a lot of crossbow hunters are ground hunting when they take shots. These result in high hits ending up with little blood trailing because the deer is bleeding internally.
Shooting from an elevated tree stand will generally have a lower exit wound resulting in somewhere for the blood to drain making tracking a wounded deer much easier.

This is just a guess as I have witnessed it personally. I have recovered several of my deer despite little to no blood trail.
But without concrete numbers, my experiences may just be an anomaly.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

agree with all post other than the op statement , I `ve seen more success post on here then wounded deer posts . granted I seen a few but not as many as the op is suggesting .
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
post #13 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Regular Visitor

I don't believe anybody could prove what weapons wound more deer and it goes back to the person not the weapon on the type of ethical shots their taking. Every year I hear guys(usually the same guys) talking about losing deer and for the most part it all comes down to shot placement.

I personally don't like when rifle hunters blaze away at running deer 200 yards away (which i see a lot of around where i live) doesn't make rifle hunters bad just gotta question that individuals judgement. Yes everybody knows somebody that can shoot a Nat off deer hind end running but reality is most guys can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As a vertical bow to crossbow convert, I'll say without a doubt a crossbow is a more efficient weapon than a vertical bow in the hands of an experienced shooter. If there's a problem, I'd say it lies with folks not understanding the effective range of a crossbow, and folks pushing the envelope on shot distances. However, that problem lies with the shooter not the weapon. Education is key. A while back the PA Game News contained an interesting article regarding a deer's reaction time, shot distance and arrow/bolt speed and had a chart indicting the effective range of the weapon, based on the arrow/bolt speed.
post #15 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 01:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter View Post
As a vertical bow to crossbow convert, I'll say without a doubt a crossbow is a more efficient weapon than a vertical bow in the hands of an experienced shooter. If there's a problem, I'd say it lies with folks not understanding the effective range of a crossbow, and folks pushing the envelope on shot distances. However, that problem lies with the shooter not the weapon. Education is key. A while back the PA Game News contained an interesting article regarding a deer's reaction time, shot distance and arrow/bolt speed and had a chart indicting the effective range of the weapon, based on the arrow/bolt speed.

I posted info from that article in another thread. Here it goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
There was an excellent article in the October issue of Pennsylvania Game News called "Crossbow Longshots" by Darren Cummings, who is an engineer by trade. The article explores all of the issues with shooting a crossbow as range increases, as well as other factors such as deer ducking the string at various distances. Some take a ways from the article:

Trajectory - A 450-grain bolt moving at 375 fps will drop:
@ 25 yards - 8 inches
@ 50 yards - 3 feet
@ 100 yards - 15 feet

Wind drift - A crosswind of only 7 mph will cause that same bolt to drift 3.5 feet @ 100 yards.

Ranging errors

If you miss-range or miss-judge a deer @ 30 yards, but the true distance is 35 yards, you will miss 4 inches low.
If you miss-range or miss-judge a deer @ 95 yards, but the true distance is 100 yards, you will miss 21 inches low.

Ducking the bolt. There is some math involved in the authors calculations, see the article if you are interested in the math, but here are his calculated "Too Close To Duck" distances for various speed bolts. In other words, a deer at a greater distance than those shown would be likely to be able to duck the bolt.

Bolt speed - Too Close To Duck Distance
250 fps - 26 yards
300 fps - 32 yards
350 fps - 40 yards
400 fps - 45 yards
430 fps - 50 yards
post #16 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
Bbutz show me on the forums where crossbow hunters wound deer and other types of weapons don't.When this goes the wrong direction this thread will be closed.The opening statement is half way there.
Exactly.
post #17 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 04:31 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
Bbutz show me on the forums where crossbow hunters wound deer and other types of weapons don't.When this goes the wrong direction this thread will be closed.The opening statement is half way there.
This is a broadhead study but is does track vertical bow vs crossbow statistics. I think it disproves the op's opinion and provides some facts.

https://www.qdma.com/does-broadhead-...really-matter/

https://www.qdma.com/high-deer-recov...al-broadheads/

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Last edited by Dogface; 12-28-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #18 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:13 PM

I recently ran into a compound bow hunter that I'm an acquaintance of and asked him how his season went. He told me he hit a small 8 point in the chest on the last day, but after tracking it for 200 yards it headed up a hill and he lost the blood trail. He then proceeded to tell me that since the deer was hit in the front, that when it started up the hill, all of its blood went to the back of the deer and that's why it stopped bleeding. It doesn't matter what the weapon is...you can't fix stupid.
bohunr, limbhnger10 and .257 like this.
post #19 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:20 PM

this post is complete nonsense with out facts to back it up. i would think more deer are wounded and lost by gun hunters. long range, fingers cross shooting hoping to get one.
deer drives where people are taking pot shots are deer running between trees and brush. taking running shots at deer going thru open fields faster than a race car driver. and if the deer doesnt falter , jump, stagger or show any signs of a hit, no one is going to walk 200 or 500 yards to look for blood. they just sit and wait for the next one.

(this makes just as much sense as saying crossbow users wound more deer)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #20 of 112 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 07:58 PM
CD2
Part of the Community

Too many think it OK to shoot at deer.

Some types of gear may attract those of that mindset over others.

Had the guys w 40K trucks coming in the night before the opener to bore sight their slug guns.
Some people just take wounding a deer as "no big deal".

And some think losing a big buck also, "no big deal".

I don't understand.......they must have big bucks on large private chunks of ground and unlimited vacation days.
Even if they do......the lack of respect just boggles my mind.

Idealist beaten into realist... with just enough spite left to speak my mind when least appropriate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page