Wounding deer - Page 11 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
The majority of hunters don't know squat about deer anatomy and I mean the vast majority.I used to be against crossbow inclusion until I spent 10 years dealing with 200 hunters per year.I wish far more hunters would put their bows down and pick up a crossbow.

I agree with this statement whole heartedly. The people I know wounded much more with a compound than a crossbow. The crossbow is a much more efficient weapon for MOST people in archery.

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

If there was a way to eliminate road hunting I would be more in favor of crossbows. It’s not possible without more law enforcement or some law changes. I can’t say for certain more deer are wounded from these situations but it’s highly likely.
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM

yep...poachers have to wait for the law to change before they use something to break the law.
guymac likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavsteve View Post
If there was a way to eliminate road hunting I would be more in favor of crossbows. Itís not possible without more law enforcement or some law changes. I canít say for certain more deer are wounded from these situations but itís highly likely.
What factual information do you have that road hunters are using crossbows? Do you know any road hunters that use crossbows?

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It does crack me up that some people will say

restrictive gun laws only affect the law abiding citizen, criminals will still break the law

then also say

crossbows should be illegal or need to be decocked in a vehicle so that poachers (criminals) can't shoot deer from a vehicle
Muzz and bohunr like this.
post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know lots of people around here that shoot deer road hunting with crossbows. It might not be an issue on private land but it is on the ANF. I have no factual statistics but just what I see and hear. I understand that criminals are always going to be around and they always have been. I would like one of the wardens to chime in. I would have to think there are more crossbow road hunting incidents now than before they were legal to use. I’m not even sure how law enforcement could enforce it unless they witness somebody shooting from the road.
post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:36 PM
The Man

Quote:
I know lots of people around here that shoot deer road hunting with crossbows.
Well I'm at a loss to respond to that. I don't know anyone who road hunts let alone road hunts with a crossbow. I hope you keep the PGC regional phone number on speed dial.
Muzz, bohunr, loridr and 1 others like this.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 05:59 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
Don't really agree with the OP suggesting that either. A crossbow is easier for someone unfortunate enough to have a handicap preventing a longbow or compound bow to be ethically used, but the differences end there IMO. A responsible hunter tunes his/her equipment as best possible, practices to gain proficiency with it, reguardless of it's description, and takes only shots that are reasonably able to be accomplished and effect a clean kill.
Agree completely
bohunr likes this.

Chuckhunter--Always identify your target---
post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I know lots of people around here that shoot deer road hunting with crossbows. It might not be an issue on private land but it is on the ANF. I have no factual statistics but just what I see and hear. I understand that criminals are always going to be around and they always have been. I would like one of the wardens to chime in. I would have to think there are more crossbow road hunting incidents now than before they were legal to use. Iím not even sure how law enforcement could enforce it unless they witness somebody shooting from the road.

they dont enforce it that much because people that see it and know about it dont call and tell them.

you do know suppressors are legal to hunt with right ? i bet poachers were glad to see that passed, now they can just pop deer all night long with their suppressed SA Rifles out the car window. OH...wait, no they cant, SA rifles arent legal for big game.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 PM
The Man

There was a big bust a couple years ago how a big time poacher got nabbed shootin a trophy Buck with a XBow.His girlfriend tipped off the cops and the green police was waitin for him on the way out of the cemetery he shot it in.It,s a shame they had to let him kill the Buck but that was the only way to bust him.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page