How far bolt travel after complete pass thru - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

How far bolt travel after complete pass thru

Thats the question. From your experiences how far past the deer did you find your bolt after complete pass thru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:17 PM
The Man

If I'm hunting out of a tree, the bolt is usually right there in the ground. I have shot a few off the ground though, like this year. I never did find my bolt this year, but my buck was walking along some high goldenrod and in that stuffs where it went...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:36 PM

Bolts have a bad habit of going under the leave's 'n stuff once set to flight. Even under what you may consider "ordinary" packed earth. This year mine did a pass-thru at heart level (I've been on the ground for ten years now) the bolt went about ten yards and the fletchings were glinting from the sun.

On ground shots.....with a complete miss (who me?) it's very rare for me to locate the bolt.
Asajoe1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

If in the tree stand I find a majority of them. If out of the blind on the ground I have yet to even find 1.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 03:49 PM

A couple of feet from a tree and about ten yards from the ground.
Laylow likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for some feedback. I double lunged a nice 8pt in a cut corn field from the ground and couldnt find the bolt. I am going to break out a metal detector to find it. I would rather not leave it in the field if i can help it.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Ground shots with bolts are puzzling. Usually about 10 yards past the deer on level ground, but a lot depends on how much meat and fat are involved. A complete zip though without meeting a rib may send that baby way out there. If the terrain slopes downhill behind that deer all bets are off. I hate shooting uphill as well. That bolt can sail a country mile.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Part of the Community

My daughter shot a doe a few years ago from a ground blind . The doe was 8 yards and the lighted nock on the bolt looked like a Roman candle going about 50 yards I’ve found every bolt including the one she missed the other night and it went almost 100 yards. If your not using lighted nocks you should consider it.

This is the one that was about 100 yards. I took a pic of it for memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AB3D21D3-DA30-4F39-9C90-1A087A15086B_1573500513950.jpg (585.9 KB, 41 views)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I found the bolt today using a metal detector. Took about 45 seconds and found it about 10 yds past where i shot the deer. I am definitely looking into lighted nocks next year.
Huntered likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM

I will also be invested in those lighted nocks. Two days ago, I shot a 8 pointer at 4:00 pm that was broadside with my new ravin at 26 yards using my 30 yard pin out of a tree stand. I think my shot hit the deer high. I found my bolt about 10 to 15 Yards sticking up in the dirt. My arrow had blood up to the vanes and the rage broadhead had brown hair.

After the shot the deer kicked out its back feet and ran about 50 yards and stopped. After about 40 seconds it just walked off.
i then backed off trying to track the deer because it was getting dark. I went back out yesterday morning with my two buddies But unfortunately it snowed overnight and we were unable to find the-deer. I'm going to survey the area today while my other buddies are on stand.

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page