No pass through - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

No pass through

Anyone else having an issue with this is it time to switch back to fixed blade broadheads? Or do I need a smaller cutting diameter? Using reaper 2.5 inch out of killer instinct 360fps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
Anyone else having an issue with this is it time to switch back to fixed blade broadheads? Or do I need a smaller cutting diameter? Using reaper 2.5 inch out of killer instinct 360fps
No one would know the answer. You did not say where you hit the deer, there are places on a deer where you will not get a pass through no matter what broad head you use. A bad shot is a bad shot and not the fault of the broad head.
bohunr and Dogface like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Regular Visitor

I’m using 150 free 3” swackers out of a 380 FPS bow. As long as The deer is perfectly broadside I always get a complete pass through. Now if the deer is quartering and the entry of the bolt is near the shoulder or the exit of the bolt is near the shoulder ( hope that makes sense) I will only get a pass through 50 pct of the time. With that being said I def prefer a pass through but I’m not willing to give up that 3” cut I’m getting to go with a fixed head that might pass through 100 pct of the time. If I don’t get a pass through I make sure to wait plenty of time before going after the deer if I didn’t see it fall. It’s said often on here but can always be said again do not push them and they will be there waiting for you!
bohunr and 35 whelen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tky1187 View Post
Itís said often on here but can always be said again do not push them and they will be there waiting for you!
Exactly!
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM

I suspect if you are seeing a fair number of shots not passing through deer, you are not hitting them in the right spot. I have never not had a pass through on a broadside shot through the ribs with both fixed and expandable broadheads. I quartering away may hit the opposite shoulder and not pass through.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 10-22-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:10 AM

My dad and I both use Nap spitfire 100 grains with 1 1/2" cutting diameter. We both have parker crossbows, not sure on what the speeds on them, but I've never not had a pass thru. My dad on the other hand has had some issues with not getting pass thru. Most of the time it's because he doesn't wait for a perfect broadside shot. The one I remember the bolt stayed in the deer entered the rib cage and was logged in back leg. He swears it wasn't that steep of an angle when he shot, but from some of the other deer he's shot and the entrance/exit hole I've determined he's not the best at judging a deer's angle. He's rifle hunted since he was a boy but only picked up archery since crossbows become legal. I keep telling him about shot placement and angles, but its hard to teach old dogs new tricks.....But I'd say lack of pass thru is more dependent on shot placement especially with a crossbow.
One Horn likes this.

You can't bag a big one if your not out tryin
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'm at 100% pass thru with Rage Hypodermics I was using some variation of an expandable from G5 before that and wasn't satisfied with the performance. Since going to the Rage I'm very happy
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

It was a perfect broad side shot in rib cage half way up behind front shoulder it wasn't a bad shot I was just wondering if anyone else is not having pass through with crossbows
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like either blades aren’t properly sharp or the bolt is too light. At 360 FPS an arrow should blow right through a broadside deer. I got a clean pass through on my opening day doe this year. Shot her using a #43 lb longbow, arrow speed 155fps.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:36 PM
Sage

Or it was not as perfect a shot as the OP thinks it was.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in