Discharge arrows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Discharge arrows

Yesterday when I got done hunting I got out my discharge arrow and fired in at an angle into the ground. When the arrow hit the ground two pieces of the arrow went skyward. The last time I fired it I fired it into a bank from about 15 yards and it bounced straight back and came close to hitting me, which is why I didn't fire it straight down or almost straight down. Today I went to Lancaster Archery Supply where I bought the arrow to get a new one, I asked if they had one that would hold up better. The guy at the proshop told me he never recommended the arrows. When I aske him what he recommends he took me over to the target bag section and grabbed a small yellow Jacket "discharge bag". It is small, 17" x 13",I can throw it into one of the baskets on my ATV and leave it there under the cover while I am hunting and set it up and shoot a target arrow into it when I am leaving. Those arrows are expensive if they are going to break after a couple of discharges, the bag should last me pretty much as long as I will be archery hunting.

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/mor...ag-target.html
bohunr, Dogface and limbhnger10 like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 10-11-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:30 PM

That is what I use at the end of every hunt. We ground a bullet point flat so it doesn't penetrate as far. Just don't forget to switch to the bolt with the field point, I have forgot 2x in the past couple years and those bags don't stop broadheads!
bohunr likes this.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:06 PM

my dad and I have an Styrofoam target that we discharge ours with and use a field point to save the target
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM

I have been using that for a couple of years now and it works great. Just don't stand too close to it because the bolt can/will go through it.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

IF I'm hunting several days in a row I usually do not release the string. Some guys here have kept xbow cocked all season. That's a bit extreme for me. I wait until Im home and shoot the target which confirms my zero as well. I do have a discharge bolt with a heavy 1"or so dia. metal mushroom on the end. Beware of frozen ground tho,bolt will shatter. I usually do it in the mulch pile
flintlock hunter likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I throw my Black Block target in the bed of my truck and shoot my bolt into it. I also use a bolt with a field point. Never had a problem.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Tried those discharge bolts... was a pack of 5 or 6 for about $15...
Wasn't worth it for a disposable item they turned out to be... and I'll say this, DO NOT USE THEM when it's below freezing out....
They will disintegrate in flight... explosively.

I just fire off a field point at an old 3d or bag target when I'm done for the day/trip.
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Part of the Community

I use a bulldog targets Doghouse FP plus to discharge my xbow. It stop arrows so fast and has a lifetime warranty. I want to get their pug target since it's lighter for traveling.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 PM

X2 on the yellow jacket. I just use one of the freebie bolts that came with my crossbow. Not a fan of shooting into the ground...rock or roots..like you have seen the arrow can come back or blow up.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Part of the Community

I have a burlap sack full of rages by were aI park. I keep a couple old bolts close by. It works great
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page