The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Broken bow

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  NorthernPotterCo 
#1 ·
I discovered the end of my arrow retention spring on my Parker bow broke off and I had to pry the metal up a little to get the string and bolt under the retention spring.

Anybody else ever have this problem and is it worth it to get it fixed or just buy a new one. My Parker bow is over 8 years old and I think I only paid $400 back then

#5 ·
I bought the bow from someone who was selling in in the classified on this site

#9 ·
8 Years old ? Like the old saying, #### or get off the pot and buy a new crossbow.:jestera:
In all seriousness I don't think it's worth fixing and even if it was now you have to worry about parts availability.
Bows/Crossbows do not hold value like Firearms.
Good Luck.:smile2:

#10 ·
my parker safari outfitter crossbow is 15 years old. when i went to shoot it the other day, i couldnt get the bow to cock and lock the string in place. i borrowed my daughter in laws 10 point to hunt with the last two times i went out.

finally got my parker to the pro shop today. its fixed. apparently i tried to cock it with the safety on and you cant do that as the string sets the bow on safe as its cocked. when i did that, the entire mechanism locked up and prevented me from cocking it no matter what position i put the safety in. the guy at the shop fixed it in 2 minutes for free.

get yours fixed that retention springs shouldnt cost much and they are most likely universal, fitting just about everybow out there. its just a piece of flexible metal to hold your arrow in place.

#14 ·
I took the bow to my local bow shop and I was advised to try and heat the retention spring up and then bend it up with pliers. So I gave the bow to my buddy who is pretty handy and we will see how that works.

Reactions: Dogface and bohunr
#15 ·
Bow problem solved

My neighbor upstate sold me his brand new Ravin R10 with a Ravin case for $1000 that he hunted with it one day. He shot a monster deer 10 pointer with it and is now researching to buy a Better model Ravin.

He told me the reason he wanted to sell it to me was because he bought it and was going to give it to one of his employees / friend as a gift but the employee quit and turned out to be a jerk.

Reactions: Dogface
#16 ·
he was going to give it away but sold it to you instead? doesnt he like you as much as the employee ?? :)

does he think a better more expensive ravin will get him a bigger buck :) :)

you got a good deal....congrats!! get a big un (if you dont, will he buy it back)...sorry...i had to add that

#17 ·
Bohunr. I am only a neighbor and we are friendly but we are not best friends. The guy that was suppose to get the bow is only 19 yrs. old and is the son of one of his best friends until the kid stole from him. Now there is a rift between them. So I think my neighbor just wanted to get rid of his equipment not to have any association with the bow and the kid.

Also my neighbors buys the best equipment he can get. Recently, I accompany him to a gun store where he bought a New rifle and a Nightforce rifle scope. The scope and rings were almost 3k

Reactions: bohunr
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.