Need some opinions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stant
  • 1 Post By flintlock hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Need some opinions

Rookie xbow user ... Killer Instinct Hero 415. Been practicing alot and had my field points dialed in out to 35 yards. Chose Rage Hypodermics to hunt with, partly because the come with a practice hunting tip. Archery store clerk told me they should all shoot the same as my field points. Today, after confirming I was still dialed in with the field points, I shot the practice tips. They shot 2" low at 20 yds and 6-7 inches low at 30 yds. Everything I shoot is 100 grains. After several shots with the same result, I decided to move the scope. Dialed it back in with the practice tips. Groups weren't as consistent as my field points, but plenty accurate enough to do the job. Was moving the scope the right thing to do? Did I have any other options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Since the season is already open in some areas, I would stick to the Rages if they were grouping good. Yes, moving the scope to the broadheads was the right thing to do. After the season is over, you got plenty of time to find another broadhead that groups closer to your field points if you want to.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Part of the Community

Try shooting your broadhead forget the practice head for now, it could just be your practice head. That would be a good place to start, then check your arrow weight and how long your arrows are. Hopefully your arrows weight 425-450gr for hunting min. some bows like heavier arrows. Those heads shoot good, Just shoot 1 for practice, some broadheads don't shoot good out of all bows,if none of this works stop by your Pro Shop.IF you want to try new broaheads check out Archery Talk classified under broadheads, you pay about 1/2 the price and most are new. You'll get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Or check the weight on the practice tip and field tip would not be the first time one or the other where marked wrong
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted b View Post
Or check the weight on the practice tip and field tip would not be the first time one or the other where marked wrong
This^^^ wouldn’t be the first a broad head was packaged under the wrong weight. Brother had this happen to him a few years back. Couldn’t figure out why his bow wasn’t shooting right someone suggested checking the broad head weight. The 2 packages he bought were marked 100 grains all weighed 125.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM

I shoot each broadhead and resharpen the blades. I shoot fixed blade, out of six heads I often have a head or two that will not shoot well, try it on a different shaft, may work. I also spin test each head. Worry how your broadheads shoot, not so much about field tips.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:46 PM

I only shoot broadheads. I sight in one arrow because they all fly diiferent even if it is a little. When I shoot a deer I sight another one in. Also carry one other arrow just in case I need to dispatch a deer.

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:19 AM
The Man

Now my NAP spitfire practice head hits the same as my field points.
Zero in whatever it is you plan to Hunt with. I guess it's no different than a vertical Bow that's get tuned to shoot a broadhead.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a KI also, mine shoots both field tips and slick trick 100 gr broadheads very close to each other, It did not shoot this way until I was over 15% foc. Do a search and you will find a calculator to measure yours.

https://www.goldtip.com/Resources/Ca...alculator.aspx

Good Luck, Stant
flintlock hunter likes this.

Last edited by Stant; 09-24-2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 08:46 AM

When I get everything ready for the season I shoot each bolt/broadhead combination at targets (The Block) at 20,30,40, & 50 yds. Those which aren't willing to shoot predictably get fitted with a target tip for practice, or off loading at the end of a days hunt. Then I resharpen all the broadheads, refitting them to the bolt they were tested on, and hunt.

It's curious how a bolt can shoot like a rifle with a target tip, but even a mechanical broadhead on some bolts are less than accurate. The reason is very possibly what Stant alluded to with the forward of center percentage. I used to calculate it when trying various combinations in the beginning. When I switched to 2219 aluminum bolts instead of the carbon bolts, and used a 100gr mechanical head, it all came together with target tips and broadheads impacting to the same place.

Hope this helps
bpottorff likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page