String thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dpms
  • 1 Post By dpms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

String thread

Thought I would offer up some advice for those that are interested in string and cable changes.

Take your current bow and measure the brace height, which is the distance from the end of the barrel to the string, and axle to axle length. Ideally this is done after a few shooting sessions after everything settles in. Take some white fingernail polish and mark the location of your cams rotation in relation to the limb. Ideally your cams are in sync. There may be holes or marks on the cams from the factory that are used as a reference for timing. If there is, note their location relative to the limb.

When you have a pro shop change out your string and cables, insist that these measurements are replicated and check them when you pick up your bow. Recently an acquaintance of mine had new cables and a string put on his crossbow. It became obvious the technician took everything off and had no idea what the factory specs were when re-installing them. Not only were the cams out of sync, the brace height was way off resulting in the string coming off at the shot.

Taking note of these measurements also lets you know if your cams begin to fall out of time, or your string stretches. Both of which can effect performance and possibly damage your bow.

I hope this helps.
JJ4D likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Last edited by dpms; 09-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:44 AM

Good info but why let the bow settle in if replacement string and cables are to restore the bow to factory settings?I imagine a bow is properly timed from the factory,wouldn't that be the best time to make the marks?I know when a new toy arrives some people just need to go shoot it.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
Good info but why let the bow settle in if replacement string and cables are to restore the bow to factory settings?I imagine a bow is properly timed from the factory,wouldn't that be the best time to make the marks?I know when a new toy arrives some people just need to go shoot it.
Depends on how long the bow has sat around before being sold. Most strings and cables will stretch a bit within the first few weeks of installation with many bows sitting on shelves for months. Some manufactures account for this when they install them. Some don't. As you said, one could write and mark everything down before the bow is shot as well. I just prefer to do it after the first shooting session to make sure everything has been freed up and settled in. Either way, you will be very close to factory settings. If someone wants the exact specs, a call to the manufacturer can provide that information.

The point is, either way is ideal. Knowing where everything is supposed to be after a string a cable replacement is very important. There are a lot of people out there working on crossbows that shouldn't be and I have seen a lot of bad work.
Asajoe1 likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

interesting information thanks for posting
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:04 AM

"There are a lot of people out there working on crossbows that shouldn't be and I have seen a lot of bad work."
I don't doubt that,the same goes for cars and trucks.I see some really shaky dangerous repair work done.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

why I bought an Excalibur exocet 200 x bow, I don't need to take it to a shop for any work. if I need a string replaced I can do it my self !

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page