Broadhead suggestions for high speed crossbows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Broadhead suggestions for high speed crossbows

Ive read that mechanical broadheads are recommended for high speed crossbows, for better accuracy. Any recommendations? Recently bought Ten point nitro X and ten point highly recommends Nap Slingblade after testing many leading broadheads in several categories. I trust them, just curious to hear opinions from other hunters and their experiences...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 AM

My neighbor shoots slick trick mags from his 10 point, they fly like darts.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 AM
New Arrival

I shoot Rage Crossbow X 125gr. heads out of my Scorpyd. They shoot well out to 50yds. I've never tried shooting them farther than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Regular Visitor

I shoot Rage Hypodermic blades for crossbows out of my Tenpoint crossbow and have had good success.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteSniper View Post
Ive read that mechanical broadheads are recommended for high speed crossbows, for better accuracy. Any recommendations? Recently bought Ten point nitro X and ten point highly recommends Nap Slingblade after testing many leading broadheads in several categories. I trust them, just curious to hear opinions from other hunters and their experiences...
If you're shooting the Nitro X package arrows (CenterPunch) that combination is shooting around 415 FPS. Once you get over 400 FPS fixed blade broadheads get very difficult to achieve the same POI as field points. Most any of the popular brand expandables will work well out of your bow. They will also produce a wider cut and better blood trails than a fixed blade head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broadheads (Small).jpg (120.6 KB, 128 views)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

The 125g rage crossbow X broadhead sounds interesting. I used rage broadheads on my last ten point but I thought the steal blade was little thin/flimsy. Worked well but it still bothered me.

Yes, I do use the Evo-tech arrows and 415 fps is what I've read out of the Nitro (although my scope settings suggest 425fps). Glad to hear that the rages and other leading mechanicals will also work well. I bought the sling blades (what ten point recommended) as they were so cheap and I was curious. I really like that they don't have a collar- the design of broadhead prevents any expanding in flight. Just hesitant as not many people mentioned using these nap slingblades in another related post.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

*Evo-X centerpunch arrow
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKMAN View Post
I shoot Rage Hypodermic blades for crossbows out of my Tenpoint crossbow and have had good success.

Same with me
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

I always had good results with NAP. Currently using aluminum 2219 XX75 bolts with the 100gr mechanical broad head. Good to 50 yards off a steady rest, same POI with either target tip or broadhead. No complaints. 305fps (chronographed) Barnett C5 Wildcat

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Is there an expandable head that you can practice with? Do the mechanicals really fly the same as the field points?

I am currently using fixed three blade heads out of my crossbow but would maybe switch to an expandable if I thought I could get one that was reliable and I could test it to make sure my crossbow shot it were I aimed it.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page