vane size - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Erie Pa.
Posts: 265
Back To Top
vane size

Just bought some new bolts for crossbow. After opening them up the vanes are 3" on my old bolts they are 4" . Does it make a difference?
strutnstuff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ne Pa.
Posts: 431
Back To Top
Not much if you foc is good.

Good luck, Stant
Stant is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
dpms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 17,683
Back To Top
Probably won't make a difference. The quality of the arrows themselves have more to do with accuracy than vane choice.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
dpms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SW PA
Posts: 3,223
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Probably won't make a difference. The quality of the arrows themselves have more to do with accuracy than vane choice.
I'll agree 65% Can't beat a good arrow with a spine check but the the other 35% a good vane really helps.. There are darn good arrows out there if you spend a couple bucks but they are worth it.
Laylow is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lycoming county
Posts: 2,380
Back To Top
Used to work in an archery shop and my guess is that a higher profile 3" vane and the "common" 4" vanes have pretty close to the same surface area for bolt stabilization?
Asajoe1 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome