first crossbow...now what - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

first crossbow...now what

Ok so I got a crossbow. Never had one, or shot one. Don't really know much about them. I got a Bear Kronikle, which I guess is kind of an entry level crossbow. It came with 3 bolts with field points, and a scope that the crosshairs light up red or green. Got it pretty cheap. I want to learn how to use it and hunt with it this fall. I seen alot of options for bolts, broadheads, and other accessories. What do you guys recommend without breaking the bank? I have seen cheap stuff on ebay and other sites. I found fixed blade broadheads as cheap as $25 for a dozen. I can't imagine they are worthwhile buying. So if anyone can kinda point me in the right direction, all advice is appreciated. Thanks, Don
bobdoo likes this.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Number one:
Try it.

Number two: Try it with broadheads.
Go with mechanical broadheads the same gr wt as the target tips if they grouped well at 20 and 30 yards.

Number three: Ask the guys on HPA all the questions that Numbers one and two generated. We have all summer......

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Number 4 - Keep your thumb and fingers below the rail or the detached digits will beat the arrow to the target.
flintlock hunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 AM

You can find Rage crossbow hypodermics on Ebay for about $20 for 3 and they come with a practice head.I use Victory arrows built by Arrowhead a forum sponsor.This combo works for me quite well.
pahoytman likes this.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 AM
Part of the Community

Were you a bow hunter before ? What type of gear did you buy for that ? Work with it. Match your target tips to your hunting blades. Work with the scope from a very solid rest, then start working with you. Rail lube, string wax, case. Figure out how not to forget or lose the rope cocker. You will need a way to un-cock the bow. Good luck
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:12 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschlayerx2 View Post
Ok so I got a crossbow. Never had one, or shot one. Don't really know much about them. I got a Bear Kronikle, which I guess is kind of an entry level crossbow. It came with 3 bolts with field points, and a scope that the crosshairs light up red or green. Got it pretty cheap. I want to learn how to use it and hunt with it this fall. I seen alot of options for bolts, broadheads, and other accessories. What do you guys recommend without breaking the bank? I have seen cheap stuff on ebay and other sites. I found fixed blade broadheads as cheap as $25 for a dozen. I can't imagine they are worthwhile buying. So if anyone can kinda point me in the right direction, all advice is appreciated. Thanks, Don

You are doing the right thing by saying...."HELP!" Good for you.
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 AM

Read the owners manual several times. Understand it. Realize where the dangers points are on a crossbow. Never put your fingers above the rail when the crossbow is cocked. Never put your fingers in the triangle of danger when the bow is cocked. Learn how to properly load an arrow without putting your fingers in the triangle of danger. Learn how to properly orient the nock to the string when loading the arrow. Many strings are broke this way from new crossbow shooters.

Sight it in at 10 yards, the move back to 20 yards. Learn how to manipulate the safety with your fingers to make it quieter if there is a noticeable click. Wax the string and cables well. Lube the rail prior to your shooting session using just enough to put a sheen on the barrel. Check all of the fasteners after your initial shooting session.

Learn your effective range from a treestand or groundblind. After doing that, take some yardage off to account for hunting situations. For a new archer, 30 yards is about it to get some kills under your belt. Remembers arrows are not bullets. Animals can move. Wind can move the arrow. The arrow will arc into the target so your shooting lane has to be clear.

After getting comfortable with your initial set up. You will need some more arrows and some broadheads. Give forum sponsor Arrowhead Outdoors a call. He can make you up a 1/2 dozen or dozen good customs for about what you would pay for cheap arrows in a box store. Get some crossbow specific broadheads. Always sacrifice a broadhead and use it to sight in with if your broadheads do not come with a practice head.

Learn where to shoot animals with arrows. Never trail an animal very far if you have any doubt about the shot. Even if you think you made a good shot, and have trailed for 100 yards, back out and take up the trail again after 8 -10 hours.

Best of luck and we all hope to see some success pictures this fall!
bohunr likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
Number 4 - Keep your thumb and fingers below the rail or the detached digits will beat the arrow to the target.
Thanks, I should have made that Number One!
mgp629 likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I won't be able to mess with it for a little bit yet as I am recovering from surgery this past Wednesday. I had stage 3 melanoma cancer that made its way into the lymph nodes in my left armpit. I haven't bowhunted since the mid-late 80's. Still have my high tech Bear Whitetail compound bow. i want to start gathering all the necessities awhile so I have everything ready to go. Any particular brand or kind of string wax and rail lube you guys recommend? How about lighted nocks? Are they worth having? I will contact Arrowhead Outdoors about bolts. I do have a cocking rope but have been advised that its a good idea to get an extra one or 2. I will need to get a decocking bolt too. I live about 3 miles from Bowhunters warehouse (or whatever its called now) in Wellsville so I might run in there next week if I'm feeling up to it next week just to look around. Thanks for all the help...and keep it coming!
bobdoo likes this.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:54 AM

Scorpion Venom or Rail Snot. Rail Snot makes a lube called X-Fuel 325. It is very light and doesn't gum up the string latch area if too much is used. For lighted nocks, I like Lumenoks,

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in