Is the Crossbow industry becoming our enemy? - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Part of the Community

alot of good points. another one is the six foot arc required for the hundred yard shot.
Bowflint and loridr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter View Post
First a little about me... I started hunting with a bow in 1999 and used vertical bows up until 2014. I shot 21 deer in that time with a vertical bow. Then a recurring shoulder impingement in my bow arm made practice sessions unbearable and after trying to shot with a softer elbow to reduce the stress on my shoulder, I developed tendonitis in my elbow. I switched to a crossbow. Bought a Mission MXB 360 that shoots Mission bolts and 100 grain heads at 352 feet per second. I've shot 13 deer with it in 4 seasons. I hunt in a management program and shoot a lot of does.

To me, a crossbow is a much more efficient weapon than a vertical bow. It's not without its disadvantages though. The awkward shape takes quite a bit of getting used to. It's pretty much one shot and you're done, so you'd better make that first shot count. I've tried to re-cock from a tree stand and it's not fun. My x-bow is a bit noisier than I'd like. I'm also not able to de-cock without shooting into a target. The pluses are the extra speed (352 fps vs 284 fps with my Matthews Z7 at a 27.5 inch draw length and 67-68 pound draw weight), having a scope and being able to (at least some of the time) rest it on the shooting rail of my climber to get steady. The scope and extra speed increased my self imposed effective range from 25 to 35 yards. (I've not shot at anything farther than that.)

I cringe when I see the ads touting crossbows having rifle like accuracy at 100 yards, and worry that folks will begin to think of crossbows as 100 yard weapons, which in my opinion they clearly are not. I don't know what kind of kinetic energy you'd be getting at 100 yards. I would be concerned that it might not be enough to get good penetration or to open a mechanical broad head reliably on impact. This is similar to the compound bow quest to get better and faster with each design cycle. I too wonder when or if it will reach a point of diminishing returns. Ask DPMS about his experience with a Mission MXB 400 tearing up nocks. If this goes too far, I would be surprised if there wouldn't be a push for upper limits to draw weight and bolt velocities. As for one of ads touting 100 yard accuracy, the Mission Sub-1 is one. However, the selling points are a smooth trigger and release, quietness and being able to de-cock manually without having to shoot a bolt. It only shoots 350 fps.
Not to mention the ability to hold at full draw for a virtually infinite amount of time.
post #23 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:38 PM

No it will not threaten the legality of crossbows in archery season. The cat is out of the bag. I agree that the marketing is culpable in the exaggerated expectations of the consumers.

For the record I'm not a pro-crossbow guy, but like I said the cat is out of the bag. I can recognize that my personal opinions and feelings about it will not change anything at this stage in the game.

Regardless of what weapon you choose there is always some skill involved in its use. If you think you can make a 100yard shot with a crossbow/compound, or think you can make a 1000 yard shot with a rifle, without having those advanced skills then the problem is with YOU not with the weapon.

Unethical people do unethical things...weapons not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackbob48 View Post
Archery hunting is not about how far you can shoot, yet about how close you can get. Bob
No Bob that is what it is for you. It comes down to what you can and cannot do. No they manufacture are just selling a product it’s up to the person using it to know there limits I shot deer this year at over 30 and 40 yards and also have a place where I would if I cared to can shoot 60 or 70 yards. Not worried about tree limbs it’s a horse pasture when I hunt it there no horse there ie saftey factor we have other things to worry about then how far someone else is shooting
post #25 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackbob48 View Post
Archery hunting is not about how far you can shoot, yet about how close you can get. Bob
No Bob that is what it is for you. It comes down to what you can and cannot do. No they manufacture are just selling a product it’s up to the person using it to know there limits I shot deer this year at over 30 and 40 yards and also have a place where I would if I cared to can shoot 60 or 70 yards. Not worried about tree limbs it’s a horse pasture when I hunt it there no horse there ie saftey factor we have other things to worry about then how far someone else is shooting
I’m confused. Are you saying you would take a shot at 60 or 70 yards?
post #26 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 AM

I know one guy for sure that won't shoot that far.I for one agree with Bob it's a close up sport.That is the challenge and rush for me.If a 70 yard shot needs taken your stand is in the wrong place or your impatient.I passed on several very nice bucks that were inside 50 yards waiting for MY shot.Let's try to keep this civil.I can see this possibly taking a bad path.
tdd likes this.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #27 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Part of the Community

I don't think the increases in crossbow technology is to blame. However, you are correct in stating that crossbows have increased and will likely continue to increase harvest numbers in archery season. The main reason for this in my opinion is the increased number of hunters in archery season due to crossbows, more hunters = higher harvests. At this point I do not believe that the game commission will get rid of crossbows, but I do think it is possible we see a decreased archery season length or a separate, shorter crossbow season opposed to all archery season if the harvests get out of hand.
SlickShot likes this.
post #28 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
Not to mention the ability to hold at full draw for a virtually infinite amount of time.
Certainly true, and generally nowhere near as much movement needed to get in position to take a shot.
post #29 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is it really any different than the Compound Bow?
I started out years ago using a Recurve Bow, (Hoyt Pro Hunter)
My current Bow is a Bowtech Admiral which shoots a whole lot faster than the Hoyt.
So the point you make now could have been mmade about the Compound when they were introduced back then.
One of the original Compounds was made by Allen Archery, it was a 4 wheel Compound soon to glorified by Jennings with the Aerostar
also had 4 wheels.
The Allen advertisement pictured a Hunter with a Black Bear he harvested and the punch line was the Arrow went through the Bear
like a Hot Knife though Butter.
Back then I was against the Compound with the weight let off and the speeds produced just like I was against the Crossbow until my shoulders got to bad to shoot
a vertical Bow.
So if ya can't beat em join em and so I did back then and bought a Jennings T Star 2 wheel Compound.
And this year I bought a Ravin Crossbow.
It's called Progress and not much we can do about it. Would you like to go back to a Rotary Phone?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #30 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Part of the Community

It isn't about how fast your arrow is but where ya place it. Speed doesn't kill. Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page