What a deal - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 AM

its all what a person likes, wants and can afford. still doesnt change the fact that there are less expensive items that will get the job done just as well.

for the price of a raven or tenpoint, a person can buy a 500.00 crossbow and go on a 3 day deer or boar hunt down south and come back with a freezer full of deer or pork..maybe both.

years ago i was told i needed a better scope on my 30-06. i forgot what i was using at the time but i put a leupold on it. didnt make me a better shot, it was a little better glass to look thru but i still hit what i could before. it just cost more to do the same.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Realistically it’s the law of diminishing returns, to a point money buys large leaps in quality and performance however you reach a point where the relationship switches and small gains cost more and more. I’m more familiar with guns for an example but it kinda goes like this

$300 to $650 nets you a budget rifle that shoots reasonably well with a rough action and a cheap hollow stock. Example - Rem 783, Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot.

$1000 to $1500 nets you the flag ship production models, smoother actions, nicer stocks and more little features. Example Browning X-Bolt, Rem 700, Winchester Model 70, Ruger 77

$1500 to 3000 nets you a combination of premium flagship rifles and budget custom builds, for production guns this range is typically reserved for the best stocked rifles in the line up with either fancy wood or special fiberglass. For the customs this is reserved for custom actions with premium barrels and more budget friendly stocks. Typically this is where the performance envelope stops improving and simply becomes more tailored to a specific application.

$3000 to $6000 nets you a custom precision rifle, pick your poison but a top of the line custom action with a premium barrel and stock sent to a well known smith will fall somewhere in this range. They are all incredibly accurate and the cost variance is entirely based on what features the customer requires of the rifle.

$6000+ with the exception of AI and Gunwerks this is full blown custom hunting rifle territory, exhibition grade wood, engravings and titanium parts rule this range. With the exception of AI and Gunwerks this is all luxury based, they don’t shoot any better but they sure do look pretty doing it.

I imagine crossbows follow a similar pattern with the Ten Point and Ravin representing the top tier. They are slightly lighter, slightly shorter, slightly thinner, slightly faster for double or triple the price of similar models offering 90% of the features and performance. To some people that extra 10% is worth the extra cost.
bohunr and Laylow like this.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I bought the Excalliber Vortex 5 or more years ago for around $1K with a doz arrows & case.
Its not the fastest, but I don't care I have a range finder, Its not the easiest to carry around, but I manage.

If I do my part it will shoot a 2" Group all day from 50 yds.

I Like the fact that it is a recurve design, that allows me to change or replace the string in the field.

I have only killed 1 buck with it, but it shot straight through and he dropped within 15 yds.
bohunr and Laylow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM

Does the Ravin kill them any deader.....

PS: If I was to have any crazy money laying around, I would buy a Mission xbow 1st....
bohunr likes this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I picked up a Bear Kronicle when Walmart clearanced them this spring. I have no doubts that this xbow will do the deed. Tack driver, fast, fairly quiet. Sure, the optic included isn't top of the line, but I have no doubts any deer that comes within 50 yards this fall is going in the freezer.

As for rifle optics, I will splurge a little there... I can, and I've found it adds to the enjoyment/experience. My eyes were opened when I bought my first Leupold VXIII ages ago... The quality of the glass compared to the Simmons and Bushnells I'd been using added 30 minutes of prime hunting time for me... I clearly see and take deer at first/last light that no one else in my group could find in their scopes. Two seasons later, everyone in the group had Leupolds on their rifles.

You do get what you pay for, to a point. Beyond that is just bling/excess/luxury/hype... every now and then, there's a bargain to be had though...
bohunr likes this.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:16 PM
New Arrival

Hey woods walker do you work for the PGC?
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIGHT POINT View Post
Does the Ravin kill them any deader.....

PS: If I was to have any crazy money laying around, I would buy a Mission xbow 1st....
Not sure who said the Ravin would kill more Deader, I certainly didn't.
I bought for mine for the accuracy, compact axle to axle, which is real nice in the Blind or Treestand.
And in my opinion has the best cocking and decocking system out there.
bohunr likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 PM
dce

I never read anything about the reliablity of these.Do they have any issues?
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce View Post
I never read anything about the reliablity of these.Do they have any issues?
Ravins? Hardly any issues with them. Limbs have been very durable. Only small issue is relatively quick center serving separation due to extreme string angle and some are reporting front rest is flat spotting after a lot of shots.
bohunr likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page