Crossbow scopes with illuminated dot and mag? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Crossbow scopes with illuminated dot and mag?

Looking for a good scope with illuminated reticle or dots for differing yardage. Is magnification a good bonus to have? I've seen fixed and variable power up to 5x? A good quality waterproof fog proof unit. Hawke keeps coming up a lot but are they the only game in town or are their others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 AM

I have been researching the Hawke for some time for my Barnett BCX. I am considering a switch on my crossbow from 125 Thunder heads which and taken several bucks over the years with a compound bow and two with a crossbow, but considering 100 gr. Rage for the crossbow.

I borrowed a Ravin R15 this Fall and took nice KY & OH bucks with the rage heads. The optics on the Ravin are much better than my Barnett. Before I dish out the big bucks for a Ravin I am going to do a little testing with my Barnett.

I only plan only hunting whitetail and believe the Barnett is more than adequate for that, but would like to considering improving my optics.

The Hawke and the Nikon XR are the two I have singled in on. The Nikon is not illuminated, but is less $$ and gets very good reviews.

However, I am going to test my current scope with the broad heads for accuracy and shooting dim light.

Good post.....Interested to see what others have to say.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM

I currently have a rangemaster pro scope on my Tenpoint crossbow. It has illuminated dots AND reticles for each yardage. No one needs a scope with magnification on a crossbow (IMO). It usually makes it harder to acquire the target quickly. If I could have gotten one with zero magnification I would have. I think the lowest is like 3X? I used a red dot once. The batteries went dead on me and I had no way of aiming, hence the need for non illuminated reticles to accompany the lighted dots. Sometimes the deer are too close and the shot too quick to be fumbling around with a rheostat to turn on the dots.

That's the best advice I can give. I hope it helps.
pic is from Tenpoint's website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCOPE JPG.jpg (43.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Slay; 12-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Hawke IR adjustable speed scope that came as a package upgrade on my Mission crossbow. I really like it a lot. IMHO no need to look anywhere else for crossbow scopes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Many of the crossbow manufactures use Hawke scopes and rebrand them.

Probably the best crossbow scope I ever shot was the Zeiss XB75. They are discontinued now but you may still be able to find one new.

Another option to consider if you are looking for better glass is to put a good rifle scope on top of a HHA Optimizer.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Many of the crossbow manufactures use Hawke scopes and rebrand them.

Probably the best crossbow scope I ever shot was the Zeiss XB75. They are discontinued now but you may still be able to find one new.

Another option to consider if you are looking for better glass is to put a good rifle scope on top of a HHA Optimizer.
With most modern crossbows I don't even know if you need the optimizer. With my razr ice(380 fps) i Can sight in dead on at 30 and then the first hash is on at 40 only a inch or two high at 20. Don't even use the other hash marks and I am sure you could use a rifle scope and the bottom of the duplex would be on somewhere around 40 yards. You would just have to figure out exactly where. Or just figure out how high you need to aim at 40. I don't shoot over 40 yards so thats fine for me. If your shooting over 40 then sure your going to want a scope with hash marks or optimizer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Vortex XBR I never use the hash marks I just dial it in. I realized I needed illumination when I could not see the crosshairs in dim areas at the end of shooting time. They don't make them anymore but I see used ones occasionally. Leupold VXR is also illuminated I have 3 of them on guns not bows.

I LOVE Hunting,Fishing, my Excalibur and that thing that makes men weak and starts wars.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

It looks like a Hawke is in the future. I need the lighted recticles more than the magnification. From what I keep hearing, you cant have it really both ways no matter what brand. ...you cant have a scope that zooms in and your yardage markers stay locked.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1e View Post
It looks like a Hawke is in the future. I need the lighted recticles more than the magnification. From what I keep hearing, you cant have it really both ways no matter what brand. ...you cant have a scope that zooms in and your yardage markers stay locked.
You are correct. If it has a dial set to the arrow speed, once you've set that, that locks you into your magnification. Kind of a bummer really. That being said, at the ranges we should be shooting deer at, there is plenty of magnification with my Hawke scope.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I saw using a normal scope and an optimizer...but I dont have 52 minutes to line up on a deer lol. I would rather deal with distance confidence and lighted crosshairs than the zoom..the zoom was more to pinpoint the shot. How are these scopes at close shots? 10 or almost underneath?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page