The Brow Tine Buck of 2018 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Brow Tine Buck of 2018

The main attraction is his brow tines, but this buck was 5 ˝ years old and weighted 225 lbs.
For PA standards, this alone qualifies as a monster, but the story is a good one too!
Here is my story:
I first saw this 225 lb. brute on my trail camera, it was always in the middle of the night. After seeing these brow tines, I knew this was my target, no matter what. After figuring out where he was living during the daytime, 9 hunts later I started second guessing myself. But after placing a camera near this hiding place, I knew I had it right. He was always coming out about 20 minutes after dark. But then the rut started along with a full moon. I started with a twisted knee about 3 weeks earlier and it kept getting worse. Being my favorite deer stand is nice and even has a heater, I convinced myself I was sleeping overnight for a two-day hunt. My wife and especially my daughter we not happy with this decision at all. My son knew I would be ok. So extra early on Oct.24th, full moon coinciding with the recently started rut, I headed out for the 400 yd. walk to my deer stand. A back pack stuffed full, including one thermos of hot coffee and a second thermos of hotter coffee for tomorrow. Two days of food and some normal supplies… knife, handwipes, etc. Probably weighing 35 lbs. Then in my shoulder side pack, another 15 lbs. of necessities; binoculars, calls, scents and misc. A cane in one hand, my crossbow over my shoulder with the other hand, 50 lbs. of necessities in 2 packs, off I go. It didn’t take long for me to 2nd guess myself. But thinking about those brow tines just made me truck harder, but my knee said “slower”. Finally, after several stops to rest my knee, I made it. While still dark, everything was unloaded and put in its place. It was a long day, starting at 7:00 am here and scheduled to end at 6:40 pm. Throughout the day, I was a little disappointed. I thought there should be more action, but then I remember seeing the coyote in the pictures with my trail camera. The sun is going down, 6:00 rolls around. Does are starting to come out with a younger buck or two closes behind. I’m watching two areas, one on one side of me, the other on the other side, trying hard not to watch too long on either side. Then it happens! 6:20. As I turn my head to the opposite side, here he comes on a trot past me at 25 yds. The sun is dimming, and I need my binoculars to be 100 % sure it’s him. Yes, but he’s at 60 yds and heading out farther towards the hot does and younger bucks. Suddenly, he turns back, chasing a doe heading slightly towards me. My Parker crossbow is up and ready. Not knowing where this doe is going, I stop this trophy with a “baww” at 45 yds. Quickly, I have to take what may be my best shot! But there is a problem. Yes, he’s stopped, but this brute is standing, with a “quartering towards me” shot. I’ll take it anytime with a rifle, BUT A CROSSBOW??! ! Is there a harder archery shot? Not in my book. Whoosh… THUD … Off he goes, back in the pines where he called home. Ok, I’ve got a good feeling, knowing where I was aiming and hearing that THUD. I call my son, describe the past 20 minutes, he’ll be able to come and help. He’ll get the yard tractor out, with the wagon on the back, and head down the path in my direction. It will take him an hour and a half. I told him to call me before he heads down… just in case. Now about 50 minutes has gone by, everything is cleaned up and put away. Yes, at this point I’m confident! Carefully, quietly, down of the deer stand to the harvested soybean. Now it is dark and finding a bolt or blood trail is not going to be easy, but not that hard either, if there is sign of a hit. No bolt, but no blood either. So, following the trail this brute ran off on, there, about 40 yds, I found blood and a lot of it (the next day I found the bolt, about 20 yds. from the hit, right where he left the field). Another 35 yards and there he collapsed, 75 yds total. It was a perfect shot. Look at those brow tines and you’ll see why I’m excited. The only other whitetail buck I could find, with brow tines this high and with a front facing Y on top of each, was the “Brow Tine Buck” of 1870. I’m proud to say, every buck I shot in PA was legal in every way. I’m 66 yrs old and this was buck 45.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c-2.jpg (1.66 MB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg c 2.jpg (1.28 MB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg copy1.JPG (259.9 KB, 53 views)

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great story there.

A taxidermist friend and I used to spend hours marveling at unique racks that he took in to mount. Yours ranks right up there. I hope you had a nice mount done of it. If not, it's still not too late to have it done with another buck cape, but it will be hard getting one big enough to equal the size of the original deer.

How are your knees today?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:15 AM

Awesome looking buck. How do you know he's 5.5 yr old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great read and great buck. Congrats!

How is the knee doing now?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

Great buck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:39 AM
The Man

Cool buck and story! Congrats!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM

Fantastic buck, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:10 PM

Super buck. Love it when it all comes together. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That is one of the coolest racks I've ever seen!!!!! Thanks for posting!!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:08 AM
New Arrival

Great Story. I hope your knee is better now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page