2Likes
  • 1 Post By jec turkeydad
  • 1 Post By loridr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

crossbow limb failures

I was talking with a guy who works at a pro shop where they sell a lot of crossbows.He claimed that they were constantly replacing limbs.He said some brands were obviously worse than others but claimed that it was fairly common with most brands.I bought my son a bowtech stryker almost 5 years ago.He's been using a compound for the past three years but did take it out on the last saturday because he felt he wouldn't be able draw his bow with all the cloths he had on.He shot a deer,climbed down and re-cocked it.When we got home,he discharged it.I went to hang it up and noticed that both limbs had started to splinter a little.He's about 2 weeks shy of the 5 yr warranty so it shouldn't be a problem but that's a lot of money to blow on something that has less than a 5yr life expectancy.I knew the strykers were prone to malfunction but do they all have a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 11:51 AM

Not all but that is always a concern with crossbows. Lots of stress on very short limbs that are often held at full draw for hours on end. As I always tell folks, it can happen with any brand at any time. Some are more prone to it than others, and if there are limb issues, it usually reveals itself within a year or two, provided the bow is shot some.

I have had two sets go bad on two different brands. Excaliburs are often touted as bulletproof but I have seen a lot of of limb failures lately on them.

Most limbs are made by just a few limb manufacturers. The design of the limb itself and how it is utilized on the crossbows are more at fault than the limb construction.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:00 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Not all but that is always a concern with crossbows. Lots of stress on very short limbs that are often held at full draw for hours on end.

DPMS, I've been thinking about getting a Micro, but the limb issue has been making me procrastinate. I wonder if I'm better off with the Matrix Bulldog 330 with slightly wider limbs?

Last edited by loridr; 11-23-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:01 PM
The Man

I am sure there are those who will tell me that I'm full of crap, but I believe that many limb failures are a result of people shooting too light of bolts. It is common to try to attain as much speed as possible and people shoot very light bolts and broadhead combos. They get so light that it is similar to dry firing the bow and you get limb failures. That is exactly why I still shoot aluminum bolts (2219) and 125 grain broad heads. The heavier bolt/broadhead combo puts less stress on the limbs. My buddy and his boys do the same. Between all of us we have 6 different crossbows that we've been shooting for around 8 years now. None of us have ever had a limb failure and the velocities that we get are still more than enough to harvest deer. FWIW.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:44 PM

I had excalibur's for 20 years at least, now the assassian never a limb problem, pretty much lifetime warranty.
Laylow likes this.

Having one child makes you a parent; having two makes you a referee... Take your kid's hunting!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
DPMS, I've been thinking about getting a Micro, but the limb issue has been making me procrastinate. I wonder if I'm better off with the Matrix Bulldog 330 with slightly wider limbs?
I have a Vortex. Yep it's wider but 200 pound draw weight, I can work on it myself it is great. Excalibur will take care of any problems you have. Pretty quick also.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I have a Vortex. Yep it's wider but 200 pound draw weight, I can work on it myself it is great. Excalibur will take care of any problems you have. Pretty quick also.

No worries, I'm an Excal man myself, have a Vortex. Just want to go more compact, narrower and lighter.
Laylow likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page