Wondering - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wondering

Decided to get a crossbow so I started to look at the posts in this forum. I wanted to see what bows were recommended for beginners.

I was surprised when I saw that the latest post was in 2009. I don't want to make a decision based on information that is eight years old.

Just wondering if there were more current posts and if so, what happened to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Opps. After I posted the topic "Wondering" I saw the current posts. Don't know why I didn't see them before. Anyway. Now I am wondering what type of crossbow the experts on the forum might suggest. I will just say that I am on a limited budget and can't buy the top of the line xbow.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Im no expert but i have owned and used a few brands of crossbows. In my opionion id steer clear of the Barnetts. Not so hot reputation for quality. Had one years ago and that thing, although decently accurate, was a heavy, wide beast. Also string wore very fast and had a cable snap while attempting to shoot a nice buck. Take a good look at the Wicked Ridge lineup--they are made by Tenpoint and are great bows for the money. Used a Parker Thunderhawk for several years. Nice light ,relatively compact bow that gave me no problems and killed a pile of deer. Still keep it as my backup xbow. Try handling a few different ones that are in your price range and see which one you like best as far as fit etc.
bobdoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Not sure of your budget but I think they are selling new Wicked Ridge Invader G3’s in the $300’s. We’ve had a Parker for years.
bobdoo likes this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the Excalibur models. Easy to work on yourself and 100% customer service.
TENPT likes this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM

Not sure what a limited budget is defined as but if that is around $500, I would suggest the Wicked Ridge Invader. I hunted with one this year and killed a nice wild hog in SC with it. Made by TenPoint. Backed up by excellent customer service. Reliable and made in the USA.
bobdoo likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Regular Visitor

Just missed it. Ten point had the wicked ridge invader with cocking system on sale for $329. complete with bolts. Now you know what my grandson and granddaughter are getting for Christmas.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 AM
New Arrival

It depends if you are a beginner or an expert. There is no need to spend huge bucks at beginner level. Go for something that's around $150. Being a beginner, that's what i did and it works fine. You can opt for cheaper options at Amazon or Ebay. There are other online mediums that offer even cheaper options however, the quality can be compromised at very low prices.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

One thing that I should mention. I am right handed but am legally blind in right eye. Because of that, I must shoot left handed. I have gotten used to that with rifles and shotguns.

Are there left hand versions of crossbows? Are there some that can be used both left and right handed?
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe all crossbows can be shot right or left handed.
bohunr likes this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page