Cross bow sight in - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Cross bow sight in

Got my crossbow out the other day remembering it shot broad heads right on at 40 yards last year; however, it was now shooting 5" to the right and with lots of scope adjustments....60 clicks would not get it on target or move the group over an inch to the left. It also needed serving replacement so I took it to the local archer shop for replacement servings and bought a new Reinhart 18-1 target to prepare for lots of sight adjustments.

Got it home and shot a broad head a 20 yards...hit 2" to the right so I made a sight adjustment and it hit right on at 20, 25 and 30. However, at 35 it shot 3" to 1 o'clock for three shots...same hole but off. So I brought it back to 20 & 30 yards perfect. Shot it again at 35 yards with similar 2 1/2" results 1 o'clock.

Moved it to 40 yards and it hit dead center.

Any logic there?

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Some thoughts: are you using the same bolt for each shot? Have had 6 packs where 1 or 2 dont group with the rest(why its important shoot the actual bolts you will be carrying while hunting). Are the scope mount and rings tight? Finally are you using a crank cocking device or a rope cocker. Id its a rope cocker is it cocked consistently and evenly? Thats about all i could think of, maybe one will help?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...same bolt as I plan to load while hunting my labeled #2 bolt. Only shooting one bolt for now. The mounts and ring screws are tight and coated with clear nail polish. Cocking with a rope cocker appears to be consistence and even. I usually make marks on the serving to be sure both sides of the string is even; however this serving is black.

I am using extra care while cocking so the rollers are on the side of the side the same and so the string is even. I believe I am doing a very good job of that.

I just don't under stand how it can be right on to 30 a couple of inches off at thirty five and back on at 40 yards. I shot it from a Caldwell lead slid to eliminate any human error.

I will try again tomorrow.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Thanks...same bolt as I plan to load while hunting my labeled #2 bolt. Only shooting one bolt for now. The mounts and ring screws are tight and coated with clear nail polish. Cocking with a rope cocker appears to be consistence and even. I usually make marks on the serving to be sure both sides of the string is even; however this serving is black.

I am using extra care while cocking so the rollers are on the side of the side the same and so the string is even. I believe I am doing a very good job of that.

I just don't under stand how it can be right on to 30 a couple of inches off at thirty five and back on at 40 yards. I shot it from a Caldwell lead slid to eliminate any human error.

I will try again tomorrow.
Wow seems you are doing everything right.....your problem is really odd. Hope you get it figured out
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 04:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
it was now shooting 5" to the right and with lots of scope adjustments....60 clicks would not get it on target or move the group over an inch to the left

That's a lot of clicks; it sounds like you maxed it out since it wouldn't move any more to the left. Did you possibly damage the cross wire?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts...If that big buck is at 35 I will just wait until he get to 30. LOL. Very happy with all the other ranges.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Part of the Community

You can use white out to make sure the serving is centered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page