starter crossbow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

starter crossbow

I want to get my son a crossbow. He will be 14 this month and he wants to start hunting with a crossbow. looking to spend 200 to 250.. what is a good one in that price range..... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

centerpoint sniper 370 would be a good option, It's got adjustable stock so the boy won't outgrow it. sells for around 240

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:21 PM

I have Barnett Recruit for about 5 years now took a few deer with it never had any problems with it.
I back then it cost around 250.00 shipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Part of the Community

The sniper 370 is the one i would go with. I got one for my son and he loves it. You can print a coupon on line for dunhams and get it for 238.00 and that includes everything except the sling and the hunting broadheads
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 05:44 PM

Killer instinct furious. It is a cheap bow with an excellent trigger. Get the one with the trigger tech. Trigger.
I had the sniper 370 it shot well. The trigger was terrible. My daughter loved shooting it. She had no concept of what a trigger should be. She shot it well.
The killer instinct is just a bit more money but well worth it. The furious with the trigger tech. Is super for the money. Well i just looked them up on Amazon price is up more then i paid for it.
The sniper is on walmart for 238$ its a good o e for that money.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd go Killer Instinct or Center Point 370. I'd never recommend a Barnett to anyone.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Part of the Community

Centerpoint 370 is a real nice bow for not a lot of money and shoots good right out of the box.

It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:35 PM

I like my CenterPoint Sniper, shoots really well. I have shot my friend's Ten Points and not enough difference to me to warrant paying over 2X the price.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Part of the Community

I started with a Barnett Jackal about 3 years ago. Shoots fast. It's a little loud and heavy so I wouldn't recommend for a 14 year old. I bought it because it came complete with arrows and the whole she-bang. Was 240 shipped from Ebay. I would buy the sniper 370 as well now. Heck I might even buy the sniper 370 as my non starter Xbow. Good luck with what you chose. My "starter" bow has killed 2 bucks and 3 doe in the last 3 years. Just find something that fits him or is adjustable that isn't to heavy. Also I would recommend a bow that doesn't need to be shot at the end of each day. The Jackal didn't have a non-arrow release so I had to carry my bag around in the trunk everyday to release the string tension. But it also made me shoot everyday as well for practice.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

I am mentoring my nephew, and my brother in law just bought him the Centerpoint Sniper 370 based on what I told him about this post in the HuntingPA forums. I put it together for him last night and we will be taking it out for its maiden voyage as soon as the kid gets enough practice in.

It is a nice crossbow, especially for the price. Thanks to everyone for the info!
Asajoe1 and Shed Antler like this.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in