Dummy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dummy

Got up early yesterday, nice cool morning. Loaded up all my gear to go shoot my new Crossbow for the first time.
Crossbow, range finder, targets, shooting bench and rest, a pillow if needed, Coffee.
Got up to the farm I hunt got everything set up and realized I forgot the Bolts.
#%$&%###$, cursed myself for 10 minutes.
Didn't have the time to come home and go back up.
Well I did remember everything this morning and shot my new Ravin R9, got her sighted in and fell in Love again, Don't tell the wife.
For me this Crossbow exceeds anything I had expected. So Saturdays blunder was quickly forgotten.
bobdoo likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:52 PM

Glad you like it.I went to go shoot at my sportsmans club and forgot my key before.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

My son and I went shooting thismourning also. Me and my Horton Storm Rdx and him with his Horton Vortec Rdx.. Good times! Right now we are both deadly ( 1/2 inch groups ) out to 50 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 PM

Two years ago on opening morning I climbed a tree with my Summit. When I went to nock an arrow, I realized they all still had field tips attached.
Majik Man and pmedicfrog like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:26 AM

Twice while I was at sporting camps there were hunters who left camp in the morning only to realize they forgot their ammo back in their bunks. Also knew of a guy that was hound hunting bears in Maine who had a nice bear treed, only to find his bolt had fallen out of his rifle somewhere. He used my spare rifle the rest of the week.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Twice while I was at sporting camps there were hunters who left camp in the morning only to realize they forgot their ammo back in their bunks. Also knew of a guy that was hound hunting bears in Maine who had a nice bear treed, only to find his bolt had fallen out of his rifle somewhere. He used my spare rifle the rest of the week.
I've had several blunders through the years of Hunting, but How do you loose a Bolt?
They don't just fall out. Even if you entered the woods with the Bolt open it can't fall out.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
I've had several blunders through the years of Hunting, but How do you loose a Bolt?
They don't just fall out. Even if you entered the woods with the Bolt open it can't fall out.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/images/Huntingpa_toucan/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]
ive seem several online gun “reviews” where the so called expert complained about a receiver mounted bolt release. They claim is can cause you to loose your bolt. As far as I can tell you’d have to have the bolt open first. I think you’d notice if you snagged something hard enough to open a closed bolt even on an empty chamber. Even with the bolt open it’s a “1 in 1,000,000” shot.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

That may be true but Every Bolt action I own that have different bolt releases but can't see any of
them loosing a bolt even if left open.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
That may be true but Every Bolt action I own that have different bolt releases but can't see any of
them loosing a bolt even if left open.
i agree but apparently they feel a release like the ruger 77 or the new mossberg patriot can catch on things and open. I’d say of that happens then you had very little control of your weapon and were not paying attention.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:42 PM

My guess is that his action was open in the truck, as was required by many outfitters. Probably entered woods without closing his action. ( most outfitters wont have you chamber a shell until you're ready to shoot ). If your bolt release button is gummy or stuck, or it's spring breaks, a bolt can slide out.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 08-27-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page