Roast me. Joined the dark side - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Roast me. Joined the dark side

Ok just a little sarcasm, there is no "dark side" in this story. I'm not on these forums much anymore, mainly because I'm so busy at home it leaves me little time to hunt. I was one of the loud voices who fought crossbow inclusion and its rather ironic that due to an injury I'm joining the ranks. Specifically I torn my bicep tendon 3 years ago and its simply not comfortable to shoot a regular bow anymore. I'm almost afraid to shoot anything in the woods since I really couldn't practice. So this year I put my bow up for sale and decided to try a crossbow. Basically I didn't need a $2000 one just a lower priced one that will give me a decent chance against deer. Since I had $150 worth of Dick's gift certificates I shopped there(Not crazy about them due to their anti-gun stances-but I digress). I settled on the Barnett Whitetail Pro which had a claimed 400FPS. Assembled it and sighted it in. Wow. First off every shot I ruined a bolt. The thing blows the bolts right thru my block target, even at 40 yards. So sighting it in wasn't too fun but holy crap does this thing shoot good and hit hard. I assume they make crossbow specific targets? The thing was a blast to shoot, I'm shocked. I have to go and find a decent target then try to sight my Slick Tricks in, For the first time in 3 years I'm looking forward to archery season. This is fun stuff,

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing

Last edited by Talonracer; 08-13-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Fixed the screw up on name of of the crossbow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage

Yes they make targets that can handle crossbow crossbolts. I have a bigshot Ballistic 450 bag target for target bolts, it is great, it stops the bolts, they only go in about 4 inches and you can remove them with two fingers for broad heads I have a Black Hole foam layered target for broad heads, it has two sided front and back for broad heads and the two sided are for target arrows only. My Carbon Express 390 crossbow is supposed to be 390 fps and I use carbon bolts and that bag target works great. Lancaster Archery has a big varity of targets available.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/targ...g-targets.html

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/targ...g-targets.html

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 08-11-2018 at 04:29 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Yes they make targets that can handle crossbow crossbolts. I have a bigshot Ballistic 450 bag target for target bolts, it is great, it stops the bolts, they only go in about 4 inches and you can remove them with two fingers for broad heads I have a Black Hole foam layered target for broad heads, it has two sided front and back for broad heads and the two sided are for target arrows only. My crossbow is supposed to be 390 fps and I use carbon bolts and that bag target works great.
Thanks. Wish i would have known that lol I started today with 8 bolts and I'm down to two. Sighting my broadheads in should be a blast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Slick tricks and field points fly almost in the same hole, I gave up on the broadhead targets after I sighted in a couple of crossbows for myself and friends. all were in a 11/2 inch group at 30 yards.

Enjoy, Stant
Talonracer likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 PM

Talon,

I remember that back and forths of years ago. I am happy to see you excited about getting back out there with a bow you have confidence in. I assume you got the Barnett Whitetail Pro, not a Horton?

Yes, the make targets that have some more stopping power for crossbows. The arrows can be a pain to pull out though. You might consider picking up some arrow lube as well. With Barnetts, make sure you index the nock properly and it is always fully seated against the string, especially while hunting. Such a little bit of distance between the string and the nock with break strings on Barnetts quite easily.

I hope to see some early season harvest photos from you in another month. Good luck!!
Talonracer likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I won't roast you either. I was a vertical bow hunter for over 20 years, before recurring shoulder impingement syndrome in my bow arm made my practice sessions unbearable. The first couple shots were excruciating, the rest just painful. I finally switched to a crossbow in 2015. I find it fun to shoot. Awkward at first carrying and handling in a tree stand, but I'm getting used to it. My xbow shoots 352 fps and I have no problem blowing bolts through my black block target. I guess the extra speed you're shooting makes a lot of difference. Enjoy your new experience. Glad to hear you're still in the game. We'll all be happy to share our experiences with the nuances of crossbow hunting.
Talonracer likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry dpms I screwed up the name, it is a Barnett Whitetail pro. I did get a target specifically for crossbows and got some new bolts and everything is good now. As far as early season goes I just had to chase 4 deer off my blackberry patch out back, my guess is they aren't used to having people home at this time of day. I honestly can't wait now the anxiety I had about wounding a deer really sapped my enthusiasm for bowhunting the past two years is gone.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Sage

What target did you get?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Part of the Community

I have a Bulldog Doghouse XP. It's a little heavy to carry and keep in my truck but boy does it stop my 375 fps bolts. I have a cheaper crossbow that doesn't have a release so I have to shoot my bolt every night when I get back to my truck. this target is great. I want to get the Pug version for keeping in my truck. Great targets and you can buy them on ebay cheaper than anywhere else. <---- At least mine was. They also come with a lifetime warranty.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshank85 View Post
I have a Bulldog Doghouse XP. It's a little heavy to carry and keep in my truck but boy does it stop my 375 fps bolts. I have a cheaper crossbow that doesn't have a release so I have to shoot my bolt every night when I get back to my truck. this target is great. I want to get the Pug version for keeping in my truck. Great targets and you can buy them on ebay cheaper than anywhere else. <---- At least mine was. They also come with a lifetime warranty.
Can't you just leave it cocked. I don't have too much experience with crossbows, but my brother in law says his stays cocked all season until he shoots a deer. Just take the bolt off. He has had his Ten Point crossbow for about 10 years now.

Last edited by 35 whelen; 08-13-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page