strange tactic ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

strange tactic ?

i have a trail cam on a chestnut tree, in a field about ten yards from the edge of the woods. the deer bed in this very small strip of woods, which is also very very thick.

i have several nice 8 point bucks, being very regular at this tree, 9 am and 7 pm give or take 30 minutes. no tree or shrubs to climb or hide behind, with out possibly being to close and spooking them.

i have an idea that might work and was wondering if anyone has tried to just lay flat in a field with a bipod on their crossbow and was successful at shooting deer ?

if they stick to a good schedule in archery season, i might have to try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-25-18 Big 8pt.jpg (778.6 KB, 17 views)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:26 AM
Sage

Perhaps a Guilly suit would work. Stick it out there on a state a week or so before you hunt so the deer can get use to it. Then crawl into it early one morning and Bobs your uncle!
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do you have a goose hunting layout blind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage

You have to sit up to shoot from a layout blind and more than likely the deer would see you and bolt. Another option would be a round bale blind, set up early enough for the deer to get used to it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Flip the blind around so the back is facing the shot area...lay prone in the blind. The head rest is your crossbow rest.....schwaaaaccckkkk. Fresh backstraps.

Gotta make sure the arms of crossbow are not hindered by the doors. I'm sure the buck would stop to check you out, but should give you enough time to get a shot off if he is in the right position.

I have never done it, but I have always wanted to try to take a deer from my layout blind. I have a farm DMAP tag this year that I will try to fill using my layout blind.

If you get a turkey hunting blind put in a few weeks before the season, I'm sure that would work once they are used to seeing it.

Last edited by OAWC; 07-31-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: turkey blind comment added
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Sage

The problem is, you are committed to shooting in one direction in a prone position, in front of you. That severely limits your chances of shoot a deer when laying prone inside a layout blind. I wish you luck but I don't think you will like the experience if you try it.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Do you have a goose hunting layout blind?

nope, no blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You have to sit up to shoot from a layout blind and more than likely the deer would see you and bolt. Another option would be a round bale blind, set up early enough for the deer to get used to it.

the farmer does have round bales but he stores them on the opposite end of that field. when the deer enter the field they stick to the edge of the woods or about 30 yards out from the edge. thats why i thought, laying prone might work. there is a slight rise in the field and i could shoot just about anywhere near the chestnut tree, and not get to close to the woods to spook any deer bedded there as its a small strip of woods about 50 yards wide and 300 yards long.

pasture / field on both sides with the back side being uphill. thats why they like coming into the front field.

we sit in a cattle trailer during rifle season and shoot deer from there , they never seem to smell us either

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:56 AM

Sounds like it might be worth a try? About 55 yrs. ago before the safety orange craze I used to lay in the edge of a picked corn field under an old brown canvas tarp and shoot squirrels. you would still have to play the wind for deer where squirrels aren't that smart!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

sometimes when i hunt groundhogs, I'll lay prone and use the bipod. i have had deer in the back field walk past me around 20-25 yards away. they stop and stared but otherwise ignored me. YES...i wear the orange hat. by the time they saw me laying there i could have already had them in the scope. theoretically anyway.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Just going on what I see in the picture....It appears there is cover in the back ground which would break up ones outline. I have placed a seat in the high weeds with a back drop, hiding my body while seated and when the deer comes into range and turns broad side... looks away I make my move. Perhaps there is more than one location to do this allowing you to hunt with different wind directions.

One of the problems with laying in the open field is the target deer or another deer can walk right upon you. When archery hunting from the ground I prefer to be in a location a deer cannot get too close or handcuff my shot.

Second: I learned years ago while Spring Gobbler hunting laying prone limits ones ability to shoot any direct but straight ahead. If the bucks comes in from any direction but straight ahead or circles to left to right you are unable to get a shot off without moving. Risky....Can blow any chances from what now is a good location.

Third: If while laying in the field and a number of deer walk out at dark to spend a few hours in the field, how do you get out without spooking them or how do you know when they leave the field in the dark or near by area allowing you to slip out unnoticed?

Fourth: Getting to a stand in the morning in the wide open is always an all or none risk without getting seen. If one enters in the dark no way to know, if you are seen unless they bolt...not good. If one walks out into an open field at first light the deer can be on the edge and see the hunter.

At best it looks to me like entering the field is a one time all or none attempt and if there are bucks using the field now, one does not want to make them go nocturnal greatly decreasing ones chances of success for an undetermined period of time.

I would consider setting up a ground blind long before the hunt, select the location base on the most prevailing wind direction, allowing for a hidden access and retreat to the blind, camouflage it well and only scout the area from a distance as far as possible using binoculars if necessary and only entering the blind when the wind is right and when hunting.

You have a lot going for you now I would error on the safe side and build on what I see before I would chance running them off and spending a lot more time trying to find our choice buck...whereas, spend more time in the woods looking for a new spot can be very counter productive.

Oh and I would tell no one what I was doing/planning or where. Good luck....Let us know your results.
bohunr likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page