4Likes
  • 2 Post By Laylow
  • 1 Post By dpms
  • 1 Post By Moss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New crossbow ???

Can anyone give me advice on buying a new crossbow. Looking at the Mission Sub-1 crossbow. They are very pricey around $1500. Is it worth the price ??? Anyone have one, any problems with them ??? Can I get some advice. Thanks

Good Hunting Potter Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:14 PM
BHC
Part of the Community

This past winter I purchased my first crossbow, not knowing if I will like it or not (still love my compound) I wasn't set on purchasing a crossbow that costed alot of money. Friend of mine was in the same boat as me in late summer of 2017 and he purchased a Centerpoint 380 Tormentor. After handling it, I went on to purchasing one. It's a solid, well made crossbow, the provided quiver, scope needed replacement cause I didn't care for them, I got the Kwikke Kiver and I got a SA-Sport 550 Illuminated scope. Kiver was about $18.00 on Ebay, the scope was under $60.00 on Sportsmansguide.com...... The provided bolts are poor for hunting in my opinion, good enough to use a discharge bolt

https://jet.com/product/Centerpoint-...SABEgJLq_D_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoi...&wl13=&veh=sem

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg post-55-0-77629500-1518299215.jpeg (114.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by BHC; 06-10-2018 at 07:18 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess they are all pretty good. I like and have Excalibur's. You can work on them yourself, change a string in the field and 100% guarantee and service. Wheeled bows are nice but if you have to take it in for service or a tune up you better have a back up because it will probably be the end of the season before you see it again.
Simple is nice.
bohunr and loridr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

You clearly don't know anything about Mission crossbows as you do not need a press to change strings/cables.

I like Excalibur due to it being a simplistic design, but the older ones were very wide.

I have the Mission Sniper Lite and it's very compact and light. Very easy to cock as well.

I was looking at the Sub 1, but the $1,600 price tag was too steep for me. I've seen them for sale slightly used for $975.

I also bought the RSD crank for my Mission to cock in a treestand. It's silent cocking and was worth the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I guess they are all pretty good. I like and have Excalibur's. You can work on them yourself, change a string in the field and 100% guarantee and service. Wheeled bows are nice but if you have to take it in for service or a tune up you better have a back up because it will probably be the end of the season before you see it again.
Simple is nice.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:05 AM

that $1,000 dollar plus crossbow wont kill em any deader than a 600 dollar crossbow. the only reason to spend that much is because you want. but you dont need to.

i have a parker safari outfitter magnum package thats about 14 or 15 years old. still good, still accurate, still gets deer out to 30 yards. cost right around $500.00 when i bought it.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 hunt club View Post
Can anyone give me advice on buying a new crossbow. Looking at the Mission Sub-1 crossbow. They are very pricey around $1500.
If you are good with that price range, the SUB-1 is an excellent choice. It is one of the smoothest shooting crossbows out there. It has the best de-cocking feature on the market as well. They have been very reliable too. Missions can be worked on yourself which is a nice feature. The limbs bolts can be backed out and strings and cables changed without a press if you are comfortable doing that.

The only thing the Sub-1 lacks compared to others at that price point is speed. 350fps is modest in the crossbow world. Speed isn't everything though.

Others to consider at that price point are the TenPoint Stealth NXT which is faster and narrower. The Scorpyd Deathstalker which is hard to shoot before you buy. It is faster, has a great trigger, but about the same width. And the Ravin R10 which is a fantastic all around crossbow.

Good luck. Some great options at that price point.
bohunr likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 hunt club View Post
Can anyone give me advice on buying a new crossbow. Looking at the Mission Sub-1 crossbow. They are very pricey around $1500. Is it worth the price ??? Anyone have one, any problems with them ??? Can I get some advice. Thanks

I'm in the market for my first crossbow.
Right now I like the Ten Point shadow NXT, comes in lower than $1500.
I want a narrow axle to axle.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:38 PM

check the for sale section, some crossbows are for sale.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHC View Post
This past winter I purchased my first crossbow, not knowing if I will like it or not (still love my compound) I wasn't set on purchasing a crossbow that costed alot of money. Friend of mine was in the same boat as me in late summer of 2017 and he purchased a Centerpoint 380 Tormentor. After handling it, I went on to purchasing one. It's a solid, well made crossbow, the provided quiver, scope needed replacement cause I didn't care for them, I got the Kwikke Kiver and I got a SA-Sport 550 Illuminated scope. Kiver was about $18.00 on Ebay, the scope was under $60.00 on Sportsmansguide.com...... The provided bolts are poor for hunting in my opinion, good enough to use a discharge bolt

https://jet.com/product/Centerpoint-...SABEgJLq_D_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoi...&wl13=&veh=sem

I agree on the Centerpoint crossbows, they’re not that expensive I have the Sniper. I trashed my scope that came with it, put a Hawke red dot sight on it. I use the 20” Beaman bolts and they shoot great. Killed a doe with it last fall

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Btw they’re on sale at Dunhams for $259.99
bohunr likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page