3Likes
  • 1 Post By loridr
  • 1 Post By loridr
  • 1 Post By walkercoonhunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

cutting arrows to make bolts

ok guys I have a question..lets say I have a few dozen new 2216 raw full length arrow shafts and I want to cut them down to make 16.5 inch bolts will there be a difference in spine between the 2 shafts that was made out of the 1 full length shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:35 PM

What crossbow only uses 16.5" bolts? 2216 is used for some of the weaker crossbows shooting 18-20" bolts but most aluminum bolts are made using 2219 shafts. I don't know if there will be a difference in stiffness or not?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The .016 sidewall thickness would concern me. I think I'd stick with the 2219 instead. I'm assuming you are using them in an Excalibur. If it's a lightweight lower poundage bow you should be ok with 2216.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I'm using them in my excal equinox and wanted to shoot them in my excal micro 355 that I just got. been using them in my equinox for about 6 years and they fly great and are very accurate. I may have about 3 dozen 2219's as well that I can cut down too so the question remains..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 AM
The Man

If you're asking if you cut a 33" 2216 shaft exactly in half to make two 16.5" shafts, will both 16.5" shafts be equal in spine? The answer is yes. BUT, the 16.5" shafts will be spined significantly stiffer than the parent 33" shaft.
tdd likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:50 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I used this method when I used my now-ancient Excalibur Exocet. But this was like 10 years ago. Whether 2216's are still sufficient in spine for the newer bows, I can't say.

Make sure you get an arrow square and square both nock and point ends of the bolts. It pays HUGE dividends in flight/accuracy, especially with broadheads.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
If you're asking if you cut a 33" 2216 shaft exactly in half to make two 16.5" shafts, will both 16.5" shafts be equal in spine? The answer is yes. BUT, the 16.5" shafts will be spined significantly stiffer than the parent 33" shaft.
yes I'm aware the spine will be stiffer with the shorter shaft..but what I was basically trying to get at is would the spine be enough for the new micro 355. I might be way off track here but with the shorter power stroke of the micro (compared to the equinox) will the spine be enough in a 2216 at 16.5 inches long?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkercoonhunter View Post
yes I'm aware the spine will be stiffer with the shorter shaft..but what I was basically trying to get at is would the spine be enough for the new micro 355. I might be way off track here but with the shorter power stroke of the micro (compared to the equinox) will the spine be enough in a 2216 at 16.5 inches long?
I have no idea. Also, as Arrowhead posted, even if they would be stiff enough, that wouldn't necessarily mean they would be safe, they may even void your warranty. If it were me, I'd either get an answer directly from Excalibur or just purchase correct bolts.
Asajoe1 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
The .016 sidewall thickness would concern me. I think I'd stick with the 2219 instead. I'm assuming you are using them in an Excalibur. If it's a lightweight lower poundage bow you should be ok with 2216.

I just got a reply back from Excalibur about my inquiry of the 2216 shaft..

they stated I could use any combination as long as my total arrow weight wasn't below 350 grains..and it will not void the warranty.
loridr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page