congradulation. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

congradulation.

Congradulations to all that scored.Some nice bucks have definately been shot.For those of you who picked up a crossbow and hunted archery season,I hope it was everything you'd hoped.If you weren't successful in harvesting a deer,hang in there,there's a learning curve involved and it only get's better.It ain't over till the fat lady sings and there's still some great hunting left during the rifle season and the late season.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at the number of positive kill threads instead of the predicted large number of wounded deer.It seems you all did excellent as a group.While I don't have an interest in actually using a crossbow,I feel much better about full inclsuion now.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Re: congradulation.

Thanks man and appreciate the post. It was a great season by most accounts and I could not be happier for everyone that put a tag on a deer or just enjoyed the new opportunities.

Still antleress archery in the SRA and the late archery statewide. Some more deer will fall I am sure.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
RB
Sage

Nice post dce...behind the scenes i was talking about a couple things along those lines concerning the crossbow inclusion.

1. How few HPAers seem to of used them despite all the hype about it before hand (and/or harvest with them). Most seemed to be those that used them in SRA's already in the past.

2. How many good quick kill stories we had on here from those that did get shots. I know the two does we got with ours were both laying down within 20 yards of being hit thru the ribs, although we did still have some good wait time like with any boradhead wound, the shots were nicely placed.

Anyway,my son (12) got his second deer ever with ours and my wife got out a day or two more than she would of otherwise by now...so for our initial year, eventhough my dreams of bucks falling for all were unfulfilled...LOL ,I give it a real postive end result.

my son being able to make a shot like that is not something he could of done right now with a bow, so I am glad we got to add the experience into his young hunting career. I made him pass on a 35 yard shot on a Tremendous buck 2 hours before the BB showed up (a shot that I likely would of taken hunting solo when the angle got right and it did), and although he would of had a good chance of making that shot count, the distance was a bit far for him and his not knowing when the angle was just right for broadhead pass thru made me tell him not to shoot, and we paid for that..but in a strange way it adds to the rewards of getting the BB later that day with the right range and angles for him. I just hope that great buck comes back for him in rifle season.

Next year the Mrs. will get her own crossbow, in hopes it gets her out more. She could only go when John didn't want to, although that was not her only hurdle most Saturdays.

Overall, I am happy with the decision I made back in April to get one, for the most part it went accroding to plan.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

I think we all have to agree that sales were most likely down this year do to the economy and way this process was handled by the boc.In time,sales will certainly increase.However,hunter numbers will also decrease at the same time.I see no reason anymore that the resource will be effected in a negative way.

Up until last week,when I resigned,I was on a committee that ran a controlled archery hunt.I don't know what happened this year but I was extremely disappointed in the number of wounded and lost deer.I'm starting to think that alot more hunters should be using crossbows instead of compounds.It really pains me to admit that.

I have to admit though,it was refreshing to see more people excited to hit the october woods again.I still don't understand why these people didn't have an interest in using a compound but in the end,it really doesn't matter.Seeing people enjoy the outdoors is all that really matters.As long as it doesn't effect the resource and season length,and I doubt it will,all is good.

I hope that crossbow kill re-ignites the fire your son has to hunt.

Because of our changing demographics,I always new that we'd eventually need to add crossbows.I wasn't sure the time was right but now I'm not afraid to admit that I was probably wrong.Good job fellas.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Great Post Denny, I hunt with both compound and xbow and I love them both.

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM
RB
Sage

Class post dce.

Makes me very glad now that when we did draw swords on this issue, we did not swing them to kill.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterBooster
Class post dce.

Makes me very glad now that when we did draw swords on this issue, we did not swing them to kill.
I still stand behind some of my personal,self-serving opinions but I do believe I was wrong about some of my other speculations,if that makes sense.It's tough to take this internet stuff personally because words are only part of the discussions.I'm not nearly as abrasive in person.You can't see me smile when I'm posting most of the stuff I write.

I take hunting issues pretty serious and I'm definately opinionated on alot of things.In this case,I believe some of my opinions probably needed adjusted.

I think hunting has it's best rewards when it's somewhat more challenging.I hate it when people take running shots at deer but I'll slam you if you shoot a sitting grouse.I'm ok with treestands but feel blinds are best left for duck hunting.I often wrestle with my own convictions.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanneryhunts
Great Post Denny, I hunt with both compound and xbow and I love them both.
I've had a chance to play with a few of the newer crossbows.I agree that they're cool weapons in their own regard.They don't interest me because I love the preperation and tinkering it takes for me to use a compound.I can see why a guy would want to try one out though.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trust me, the tinkering never stops with a crossbow. I started tinkering in March. I just ordered some more arrows and weights to try out in a few days. The arrow is the only thing you can change on a crossbow and I keep trying to find the perfect arrow. Now that the season is on a break, I can try a few new combinations.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great post. I wish there were more people like you on this site. I started the season with my compound. Bought a Cross bow so my kids could enjoy archery. They had very limited time due to sports and other activities, and I really liked it, so I hunted with it quite a bit. Took my best deer to date with it and am proud I did to.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page