one more time,for me - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

one more time,for me

let me ask this once for me now ,if I'm in a tree stand and am aiming at a deer do I aim higher or lower or stay the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Well, if you are talking about deer ducking the arrow at the shot, I only aim a hair lower if the deer is alerted, but never off of the vitals. If talking shot angles, you want the arrow to hit higher than if the deer were level. Aim for the off side.

If you are talking about distance and such. Shoot the horizontal distance not the diagonal distance. A deer 30 yards out may register 34 yards on a rangefinder but the horizontal distance is only 30. If you hold for 34, you may hit high.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
If you are talking about distance and such. Shoot the horizontal distance not the diagonal distance. A deer 30 yards out may register 34 yards on a rangefinder but the horizontal distance is only 30. If you hold for 34, you may hit high.
Right. So... unless you wanna shell out a bunch of $$$ for an height-angle-compensating rangefinder (I don't), or unless you're good at computing the square root of (rangefinder^2 - height^2), or can do trig in your head... then just aim a bit low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

For you guys who actually want to do the math in your head while in an elevated stand, here's the background to help you remember the formula:

It all started with the Pythagorian Indians who gave us the Pythagorian theorum and, thus, the formula. At one point in time, there were three Pythagorian squaws who all found themselves pregnant at the same time. Two of the squaws slept on deer skin blankets and one slept on a hippopotamus skin blanket. The squaws who slept on the deer skins each delivered a son. The squaw who slept on the hippopotamus skin delivered twin sons. And thus the Pythagorian theorum was borne: "The squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides."
AgesofDays and Bigbrownie like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Math is to much labor for me. I simply shoot a few shots from a stand or an elevated position similar to what I plan to shoot in an actual hunting situation to determine exactly what my arrow will do at the moment of truth.

One of the draw backs crossbow shooters have is most 3D ranges do not allow crossbows; therefore, most compound bow enthuses who shoot 3 D practice up and down hill shots all Spring, Summer and Fall.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Before we built a elevated platform, we would shoot from the roof. Best to know where you Are hitting than trying to go by some other method. Set up several yardages and study the angles. I like to aim at the heart area.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Try to visualize the exit hole much like aiming at the far shoulder on an angling away shot.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 06:24 PM

The last 3 I shot were out about 20 to 25 yds, I never gave it a thought as to aim high or low . I just aimed for that area behind the shoulder and recovered all 3 with in 50 yds.If the deer was right under the stand, it would have made me think a little more about the shot placement....
AgesofDays and bohunr like this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Wow! It was a joke, and a darned good one. If that was over everybodys' heads.....just wow!
AgesofDays and bohunr like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"For you guys who actually want to do the math in your head while in an elevated stand, here's the background to help you remember the formula:

It all started with the Pythagorian Indians who gave us the Pythagorian theorum and, thus, the formula. At one point in time, there were three Pythagorian squaws who all found themselves pregnant at the same time. Two of the squaws slept on deer skin blankets and one slept on a hippopotamus skin blanket. The squaws who slept on the deer skins each delivered a son. The squaw who slept on the hippopotamus skin delivered twin sons. And thus the Pythagorian theorum was borne: "The squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides."

"Wow! It was a joke, and a darned good one. If that was over everybodys' heads.....just wow!"

WS, I got it - bout peed myself.....guess most didnt pay attention in math class....or even get to geometry...LOL! Sent it out to all my bud's, and told 'em to look up the Pythagorean Theorem before they read it......most of them didnt have geometry either. You musta been saving that one for year, and now found a place to use it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page