My last week of archery season report - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
My last week of archery season report

Here it is. Here is a summary of my past week of hunting.
I had a pretty good week of archery hunting starting last Friday. On Friday afternoon, I decided not to take the crossbow and took my shotgun instead, scouting for turkeys. I did not run into any turkeys, but wouldn't you know it? I was walking down a logging road and caught a flash of white to my right in the thick stuff, so I froze and looked hard. The albino eight point I have been hunting all season long was twenty yards away. He crossed the road about thirty yards in front of me. I grunted and he stopped, standing broadside. The shot would have been a piece of cake, but what am I holding? Of course. A shotgun. I figured that would be the only chance I would have at this beautiful guy.
During the week of hunting, I saw six different bucks. Two were sub-legal; a spike and a four point. I also saw two six points and another eight point. The second eight point was a boomer; heavy rack and swollen neck. Unfortunately he made me and I didn't get a chance for a shot.
Thursday morning I tried a stand in the creek bottom below our cabin. I had a second chance at Whitey! He came across behind my stand and never gave me an open shot. Maybe I will see him on the first day of rifle season.
I did have a shot at one of the six points, but I held out for something better. This may turn out to be a bad decision, but I don't think so right now. We still have two weeks of rifle season coming.
The albino eight point is the same buck of which I posted a photo last winter. He was a scrawny three point in February when he finally lost his antlers. This year, he is a decent eight. If nobody gets him this year, I wonder what he would be like next year?
The bucks are into what I call the "Walking Phase" of the rut. They are out all hours of the day and night walking around and looking for does that might be coming into heat. During the Walking Phase, I usually see more bucks than I do does, and this past week was no exception. The scrapes are being tended, and trees are being rubbed like there is no tomorrow. Next week will be crazy for them with the new moon. It has been my experience in the past that much of the "Chasing Phase" occurs during that phase of the moon. I will be out there on Wednesday and Thursday for the archery bear season. We have been seeing a few bears, so hopes are pretty high. Of course, we are hunters, and for some silly reason, our hopes are always high, aren't they?
I have to take today off to help the W 1 FE unit with some of her honeydo list. Good luck to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 AM
The Man

Re: My last week of archery season report

That would have been great to see you get that albino that you have been after. Hopefully you run into him again with the right weapon in the right season. Thanks for sharing the story and good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 AM
The Man

thanks for sharing, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Nice report Mutt and good luck on Whitey during the firearms season.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Good Luck George!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
RB
Sage

Nice report Mutt...Best of luck with the rifle. Be cool just to see that albino which i am sure it was.

I hunted half of the last week and still never saw the rut turn on. Short of the two I grunted in that came in kind of lazily, really nothing...never saw the chasing or even the "walking phase" like we have in the past up there and we got lots of does hanging out.

Well with my doe harvest on 10/17 and the boy's button buck crossbow kill on 11/9, I cannot complain one bit on the seasons results, although the rut activity was a bit disappointing here.

Glad to hear others had that type action. Guy here at work saw 11 bucks last week but never got a shot.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good report George. If you need help Wed. or Thurs. you know how to get ahold of me. Let's hope there is a bear to bring out of the woods.
I saw 13 deer total this season. Never did see rut activity or anything even related to the rut.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Mutt you are right . I took off the first week of November and saw way more bucks than does but the shooters were a bit out of range for my abilities. Watching them chase and roam the woods was a great experience . Trail cameras confirmed plenty of good bucks in the area ! Best of luck this season ....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

I look forward to the pictures of you and the albino 8 after you harvest him with a rifle!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Ah, well. One can only hope, right? I just count myself fortunate for having had a few opportunities to see this guy over the past year. My only hope is that if he is killed, it is by a hunter and not a criminal/poacher.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page