Question about ten point titan crossbow. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Question about ten point titan crossbow.

Hi ladies and gents, first off, let me say that this is one of my favorite forums, I was a member a couple of years ago for a bit but got away for some time and could not remember any of my log in info, and have since re registered.

Good to be back, I have a question about a crossbow I recently purchased, it's a ten point titan hlx. It's a couple years old but in brand new condition. I know this xbow is not the fastest out there but believe me, it makes up for it in accuracy!

I'm trying to find the best balance in penetration and accuracy, I have a self imposed limit of 30 yrds when hunting, I picked up some of the gold tip laser 2 bolts equipped with brass inserts, I installed nufletch igniter nocks, (kind of a pain to turn off once lit up but seem to be a solid set up), and 100 grn slick trick grizz trick 2 broadheads.

According to my grain scale I'm right around 430 total for complete bolt. I went with the grizztricks because I wanted the most cutting diameter (1 1/4") that I could get withough using an expandable. I just wasn't sure if this xbow had enough power for good penetration with an expandable head.

I'm getting superb accuracy, and am sinking the bolts to the fletching in my compressed foam target, now I'm wondering if I should have went with an expandable head, any of you guys use expandibles with this particular xbow? I just like the extra cut just in case I get a little off with my shot, we all know it happens from time to time. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 PM

You picked up a great bow and your arrow setup is spot on. If you are getting good accuracy out of the fixed blade heads, hunt with them. They are great fixed blade broadheads.

Many go to mechanicals cause they want a bigger cut or are getting so so accuracy with fixed heads. Your bow has plenty of oomph for mechanicals if you chose to try them out.
basdjs likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the quick reply dpms, I was hoping would be on deck this eve.

You're right, when you hold/shoot this xbow, you can just feel how solid and well thought out its design is. Before this, I purchased an Excalibur axiom, it to was a solid bow, I just couldn't shoot it consistently off hand or out of a treestand, I would be about 8 inches high consistently, but at home at my bench I could split arrows with it.

I just came to the conclusion that the "recoil" from the recurve limbs (they had a wingspan like a commercial Jet) was causing the front of the bow to jump, and I just wasn't holding it tight enough. I just wasn't confident enough with it to hunt with it. The guy that bought it says he has no trouble with it, so it had to be my shooting form, or lack there of.

I have shot this ten point from all different positions and have experienced nothing but great accuracy, kinda wierd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM

I agree with dpms. If the combination you have performs that well, just get ready to go hunt with it!

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My Dad used the Titan HLX for a few years and never had any issues with penetration using the 100 gr. NAP Spitfires and the Ten Point arrows, which weighed in around 425 gr.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page