Preventing crossbow contact with tree when shooting to the rear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Preventing crossbow contact with tree when shooting to the rear

I just hung the first tree stand that I will hunt from with my new crossbow this year. The first thing I noticed was how the tree will really limit shots behind me and even to the side due to making sure the crossbow limbs don't contact the tree.

I'm a bit worried that in the thrill of the hunt with the heart racing and the perfect broadside view of a deer, it may be difficult to remember or judge enough clearance between the crossbow and the tree. I'm thinking about tying a stick or something to the tree to act as a jig or "stop" to physically prevent the bow from coming too close to the tree, or at the very least serve as a quick gauge to eliminate guessing. Does anyone have any similar tips or tricks to prevent the disaster of a crossbow limb smacking the tree?

Last edited by Flint Lock; 09-10-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

LoL don't nick a tree with a CB limb. The limb will be fine but you'll have a major orbital problem.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 11:14 PM
The Man

I had exactly this situation happen with the buck I shot last year. Instead of staying on the trail and comping right past my stand, it left the trail and circled behind me. I turned around in the stand to follow it in the scope. But I stayed as far to the front of the stand as I could so I wouldn't get any interference with the trunk of the big oak that I was in. My crossbow is a Horton Vision with the reverse limbs so the limbs go out instead of forward when I shoot. Still at times I need to make sure I have the clearance to the side of the tree before I shoot. The buck that I got two years ago, I had to lean out from the tree for clearance.
Any way around, it's definitely something you need to pay attention to. Place your stand to be in position for it not to happen, but you just never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 AM

That is always a concern with crossbows. Hitting the tree with the limb can literally knock you out of the stand. I tend to favor narrow limbed bows and reverse draw is a advantage since you can lean alongside the tree and the limbs will still clear. I also tend to choose a larger platform for my stands. That way I can back away from the tree enough for my limbs to clear and still send an arrow right past the trunk.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

My stand sights are set up so as not to have to shoot behind me. Limb contact at the shot is going to prove VERY bad. The above comments are good advice as to your set up if you are planning a possible shot behind you. I would follow their advice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Part of the Community

buy a double ladder stand to have the extra room to get around behind you. That's what i did, just be sure you really have it strapped to the tree so it doesn't shift when you put all your weight on one side. i've seen several 15 ft double stands on sale for 90ish dollars
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 PM

It is an issue. If I remember correctly, a member here a few years ago had a limb hit and I think it knocked or almost knocked him out of the tree.

Make some mental notes with the bow uncocked of the position of the limbs. This way you will know how far away when it is cocked that you need to be. I try and set my stands so I don't have to shoot behind me.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:49 AM

No different than a compound shooter using a stand with a rail, you just have to pay attention! I sold one of my old bows a few years ago to a friend and he was going to practice shooting out of a ladder stand with a rail. We saw he was going to hit the rail with the bottom limb and just as we were opening our mouths to warn him he hit the release! It rained bow parts on us!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM

If there is a branch(s) or tree trunk in the way of your setup then you don't have a shot in that direction. Know that, work with what you do have and enjoy your hunt. Rarely will you have a clear 360 degree situation from your stand.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Part of the Community

Wear your harness so that you can lean out a bit. If you put your shoulder against the tree and then extend your arms the limbs should clear. I almost always use a climber so I can set it to where I expect to have the best angle to shoot, but nothing's perfect. I have had to let a few walk. If you don't bust them they'll be back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page