Shot Distance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Shot Distance

I have been shooting the xbow a good bit of late but I am having trouble with consistency over 20 yards. At 25 it hits low and 30 even lower. I have adjusted the site but then 20 is out of whack. How far are you guys shooting? Do you have drop off? Are my bolts (cheap from Walmart) not good enough? New to this so looking for tips. Thank you

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:03 PM
New Arrival

So, I'm not sure I understand. I apologize if I am telling you stuff you already know, but I figured I'd just say it.

Unlike a shell from a firearm, a bolt drops from the instant it travels from your xbow. It never rises. Are you using a xbow scope? Every xbow scope I've ever used has a big X or dot at 20 yards. Then, it has smaller X's or dots at each 10 yard increment from there on (so a 30 yard dot, a 40 yard dot, a 50 yard dot, etc.). You will notice the space between them gets larger and larger (as the drop increases with distance).

So, if you are saying the bolt hits below your 20 yard dot when you are shooting 30 yards, that's the way it's supposed to be. You need to aim using the 30 yard dot.

If, however, you are saying your bolt hits below the 30 yard dot on a 30 yard shot but is POA on a 20 yard shot, then your scope is probably not adjusted for the speed of your bow. Most xbow scopes have a magnification adjuster. Once you zero it at 20 yards, you then adjust the magnification so you're spot on at 30yards. At that point, you should be spot on at further distances as well.

In other words, the scope is just "guessing" at how much drop you'll have. The actual drop will depend on the speed. So, you have to adjust the magnification of the scope to get the dots to line up to POA at distances further than 20 yards. Zero in as you normally would with a rifle (using the windage and elevation adjustments) at 20 yards....then, only adjust magnification to get zero'd at 30 years, then all of your dots should be good.

In terms of how far to shoot, that's really personal choice. I practice out to 50 yards routinely. In the field, I would probably never take a shot at an animal above 40 yards. First, they do have time to react to the sound the further you go out. Also, my groups get bigger the further I go out. Also, in the real world, I don't shoot as well as I do from my back yard with a nice rest.

If I misunderstood your question, please reply.

Last edited by 3D5DNJHunter; 07-11-2017 at 03:09 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

No you did not misunderstand, you were spot on. Basically just like pins on a regular bow site. However the scope (red dot) does not have various reticles. It is a single dot, likely not intended originally for the crossbow, it was on their already. Based on that and your explanation it is a possibility I may need to purchase a scope intended for a crossbow.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:36 PM
New Arrival

Yea, it's really hard to "guess" how much drop. I shoot a real fast bow. My 30 yard dot is nearly touching my 20, but then it gets more and more spread out. You definitely need a xbow scope and I would really look for one that is adjustable (i.e. magnification is adjustable). Some are not. If they aren't you have to just try out each range (you will be POA at 20, maybe a little high at 30, low at 40, etc....)

Look on Amazon to get some ideas....Hawke makes some really good xbow scopes. But any xbow specific scope will do.

Last edited by 3D5DNJHunter; 07-11-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:52 PM

It's a speed selector ring on the better scopes not magnification.Lower end Hawke scopes are set up for 315 fps.The higher cost Hawke scopes have the speed ring.You can download a ballistic chart from Hawke and print it out for your speed.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 PM

Slower crossbow can drop quite a bit between 20 and 30. Two options...

Keep the single red-dot and sight it in for 25. Just have to adjust your aim slightly high for the 30 yard shot.

Other option is to purchase a Hawke crossbow scope with a speed dial. You can then match the multi-reticle to the precise drop of your crossbow.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
It's a speed selector ring on the better scopes not magnification.Lower end Hawke scopes are set up for 315 fps.The higher cost Hawke scopes have the speed ring.You can download a ballistic chart from Hawke and print it out for your speed.
The speed selector simply adjust the magnification. That's all it's doing. It's a magnification dial labelled with FPS instead of 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D5DNJHunter View Post
So, I'm not sure I understand. I apologize if I am telling you stuff you already know, but I figured I'd just say it.

Unlike a shell from a firearm, a bolt drops from the instant it travels from your xbow. It never rises. Are you using a xbow scope? Every xbow scope I've ever used has a big X or dot at 20 yards. Then, it has smaller X's or dots at each 10 yard increment from there on (so a 30 yard dot, a 40 yard dot, a 50 yard dot, etc.). You will notice the space between them gets larger and larger (as the drop increases with distance).

So, if you are saying the bolt hits below your 20 yard dot when you are shooting 30 yards, that's the way it's supposed to be. You need to aim using the 30 yard dot.

If, however, you are saying your bolt hits below the 30 yard dot on a 30 yard shot but is POA on a 20 yard shot, then your scope is probably not adjusted for the speed of your bow. Most xbow scopes have a magnification adjuster. Once you zero it at 20 yards, you then adjust the magnification so you're spot on at 30yards. At that point, you should be spot on at further distances as well.

In other words, the scope is just "guessing" at how much drop you'll have. The actual drop will depend on the speed. So, you have to adjust the magnification of the scope to get the dots to line up to POA at distances further than 20 yards. Zero in as you normally would with a rifle (using the windage and elevation adjustments) at 20 yards....then, only adjust magnification to get zero'd at 30 years, then all of your dots should be good.

In terms of how far to shoot, that's really personal choice. I practice out to 50 yards routinely. In the field, I would probably never take a shot at an animal above 40 yards. First, they do have time to react to the sound the further you go out. Also, my groups get bigger the further I go out. Also, in the real world, I don't shoot as well as I do from my back yard with a nice rest.

If I misunderstood your question, please reply.
Not to stray from the OP but Bullets drop too they don't actually rise from the axis of the bore.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 PM
New Arrival

If I understand you correctly you use a single dot. That would be better on a .22 than a crossbow. You can get a multiple dot crossbow red dot scope pretty cheap. I would get the best one you could afford with 3 or 4 dots for a crossbow. It will help your shooting a lot. If you can afford it a crossbow scope with 2x magnification I use one that cost $89 on sale. It has 5 crosshairs and it improved my shooting tremendously.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:54 PM
The Man

Make sure when you mount your scope that the mounting screws are square in the threads.. If they go in somewhat side ways your scope will shoot all over the place. You think you have a bad scope and it's really the mounting screws on the scope not being squared. I was told this by Bow Hunters Warehouse in Rossville, Pa.. I guess the best way to tell is when you screw them in that they go in easy... Surely you have screwed in a screw and it fights you...Just keep that in the back of your minds should your scopes both gun or crossbow shoot all over the target or won't zero.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page