New to xbow hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By dpms
  • 1 Post By Birch812

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

New to xbow hunting

I figured I would give it a shot this year with the xbow. I have a 2000 Ten Point Woodsman Plus that my Dad bought way back when. He left it to me when he passed and I figure this is the year to start using it. It is set up with a Bushnell red dot scope. The string was pretty beat so I had a new one put on and have been shooting almost daily for about a week now. It is heavy and loud but very quick. The bolts are Carbon Express but I forget the model off hand. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Broadhead recommendations? I use Grim Reaper Razortips with my Bowtech.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Part of the Community

I'm sure you will get a lot of different kind of broad heads users but for me I'm been using rage for a number of years and shot many white tails and three black bear in Canada in the last 5 years
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:07 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Crossbow hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
I figured I would give it a shot this year with the xbow. I have a 2000 Ten Point Woodsman Plus that my Dad bought way back when. He left it to me when he passed and I figure this is the year to start using it. It is set up with a Bushnell red dot scope. The string was pretty beat so I had a new one put on and have been shooting almost daily for about a week now. It is heavy and loud but very quick. The bolts are Carbon Express but I forget the model off hand. Does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Broadhead recommendations? I use Grim Reaper Razortips with my Bowtech.

I like Slick Tricks, I have found for me the most important thing if the distance to the deer as arrows dive very fast. I have a 6x rangefinder but its a bit much, I think for deer a 4x would be better.

Good luck, Stant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Today's broadhead designs are light years ahead of what we had to choose from 20 years ago. If you put any of today's broadheads where you are supposed too, the result will be a dead deer. Most of the lost deer reports we hear about that say "I hit the deer perfect but the broadhead failed" are the result of the hit not being where the archer thought it was.

I always tell folks, if your modern broadhead of choice shoots great groups, hunt with it. If you like mechanicals, opt for the "crossbow" version as they often have stronger retention systems. If you like fixed blades, usually the regular version and crossbow version are exactly the same.

It was good that you replaced the string and cables on it. Make sure the cam timing is good after the string and cable change. Respect the danger of getting your fingers where they should not be. Always keep them below the rail. Load an arrow from the front, not at the mid shaft, which puts your fingers in the triangle of danger. If not using a rest, choose carefully when to bring the bow to the shoulder if a deer is approaching. Your forward arm will not last long and you will have to lower it down if the shot doesn't come fast. I have been busted many times getting caught in that scenario.

A crossbow is still a bow and kills by bleeding. Choose your shots wisely.

Good luck!
loridr and clova like this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:53 AM

This will be my 3rd season of using a crossbow and it is fun and a bit boring to me.
Previously I did not hunt with a bow since I didn't have the time to be what I considered proficient to be in a hunting situation but mostly I never had the interest.
Several years ago some of my retired friends talked me int trying archery hunting with a Xbow.
I figured why not and brought a mid priced unit, figuring if I didnt like it it would be something to shoot out back with the grand kids.

I do enjoy shooting it and at 40-50 yards out can hold a nice grouping. It is slightly loud but the trigger click and the wack of the target bag are almost simultaneous.

The boring part for me is I have always been a moving or still hunting style hunter and sitting in a blind for even several hours at a time has me playing with the cell phone or wanting to start walking around.
Hopefully over time I will overcome this bad habit setting since I can sit and hunt turkey and waterfowl without getting antsy.

Good Luck with the crossbow and no matter what the weapon or season being outside sure beats sitting on a couch.
clova likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page